dual mac addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
hiya,

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or networking so i will copy and paste the same thread to both could a moderator please delete the one which is least successful :D

I have the p5b deluxe board with two lan connections and I was wondering if I could use both at the same time on the same network as one will be used as a slower dedicated server connection and the other as a fast internet connection now from what i have learned you need different mac addresses to create separate ip addresses so how would I do that in a windows xp environment?

Matt

so I should already have dual mac addresses then right??? so now all I need is a good mac address editing tool too make one of them into the fast internet and one of them into the dedicated server as my school only allows you to buy one piece of hardware to add to the network what they dont mind is if you add other hardware but use the original mac address aslong as they only have one piece of hardware on the network currently the mac address is being used by my psp but I shall just swap the mac address over to my desktop and then not use the psp for internet :D

any suggestions for a program?

Re:

Hello,

A MAC (Media Access Control) address is non configurable, and different from an IP address. The manufacturers assign the MAC address of the device, and it is an identifier which is unique to that network device (no other device will have the same MAC address).

Other computing devices read the MAC address of a network device, from that networking device. Computers or routers don't assign MAC addresses to devices.

You can specify what devices are allowed to connect to a network by specifiying the MAC addresses of network devices in an allowed list / whitelist. This can be done in the configuration page of wireless routers, for example. I'm assuming that this is what you are referring to.

saltynay said:
...my school only allows you to buy one piece of hardware to add to the network what they dont mind is if you add other hardware but use the original mac address aslong as they only have one piece of hardware on the network...

If this is true, then for example, if you bought a PSP as the first device connected to the network, and received permission for the device to connect to the network, then later decide to buy a Nintendo DS and use it on the network, you will only ever be able to use the PSP, since it's the PSP's wireless device's MAC address which has been allowed access to the network first.

In order to get your Nintendo DS to connect to the network following your school's 'one device' policy, then the administrator would have to deny the PSP's MAC address (or erase it from the allow list) and then add the Nintendo DS' MAC address to the allow list.

I think you will find mac addresses can be edited and in turn change ip addresses of devices you just cant have two items with the same mac addresses on the network as that shows a flaw in the software neither device will work but as long as one mac address is enabled and previously been added to the network the network controller will give it all the privileges that the ip address deserves. I have done this before it is just the program i used was extremely complicated and difficult to use I am looking for an easier alternative and I dont mind paying for the software.

Matt

Re:

Hello,

That's MAC Address Spoofing.

Such tools don't actually change the MAC address of a network device (because the MAC address is burnt into the hardware), but spoof a MAC address.

Alright...

saltynay said:
...I have the p5b deluxe board with two lan connections and I was wondering if I could use both at the same time on the same network...

So, relative to your school's 'one device' policy on the network, this would not be possible, since as you mentioned, a MAC address must be unique to one network device. Since your school only allows one MAC address per student, it would only be possible to have one network interface card connected to the school's network at any one time.

I am not planning to use the mac address assigned to my psp I will just wont connect it to the network and instead substitute the psp with my desktop computer so only one device will be present on the network.

Matt

I'm not entirely sure that I understand the situation.
You want to browse the Internet, and host server things, right?
You've got two network cards, you want one to be dedicated to server side stuff, and one dedicated to normal everyday stuff.

You're also only allowed to have one device connected to your network. So either way, if you want to have both cards working you're going to need to be connecting through a router. There's no getting around that unless where ever you are allows you to add a second network device.

Also if you have a router, you'll be able to set up port forwarding, so that you know for sure that one network card is receiving the server stuff, and one is receiving the normal stuff.

I think the main part that I really don't understand is why you want to set it up so that you have two network cards on the same system being connected to the same network. You're not going to max out one of your network cards with normal everyday stuff, unless you're transferring large files within your internal network a lot. If you do plan on doing that, make sure to get a gigabit router, so it doesn't bottleneck your network.

Thinking more, the only benefit I could see for this, would be that in the event of you transferring large files in between computers on your internal network, the connection hosting the server stuff won't be as effected.

Ive got two network addresses one is fast internet and other privileges the other is slow and the standard connection for all pupils

I would like to dedicate the slow connection to allow people to access my server and download files as the intranet site is still under construction.

The privileged connection i would like to dedicate to personal use so I would like both connections running in unison, Iam using the onboard mobo lan though not separate network cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom