unknown quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzer55

Baseband Member
hi good people, could i please have a little advice. i have just acquired an abit av8 motherboard, second user but i have no reason to believe that it's not functional. according to the abit website it supports all the likely candidates that i can afford in terms of cpu's with the latest bios flash (ver. 27)
as i have never been in this position before, my question is this:
if i buy, say a 4000+ san diego?, will it run even if the bios is not updated to recognize its full potential? in other words able to get going and then update the bios if necessary? or! am i going to have to borrow or buy a lower spec chip first? i have no documentation.
i bought it at the right price and 'cos it's agp..i am not ready to ditch my 850pe yet, not to mention a gig of corsair LL.
any experienced amd men?...most of you i would guess:)
thanks in advance

....well, 20 people have had a look and declined to offer an opinion! maybe this is not such an easy question as i thought..
...anybody?

939 Athlon fx's are really cheap compared to before mabye u wanna get one of those but 4000+ should be enough

thanks gents for your assistance; i feel better about my project now. the whole exercise is to determine, at the lowest cost, whether the amd64 will drive my 850pe more efficiently than my old northwood 3.2. i feel that i am not getting the frame rates on my type of game; at the moment its oblivion; that i should be.

in the uk, i can get a new 4000+ for £50 delivered but fx's will have to wait; they are too dear as usual in england!
i have to go try to find the 939 clips for my gigabyte g-power cooler that i intend to pirate for the build...thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom