Computer start-up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry47

Solid State Member
I recently put together a new computer running Windows XP. When I start the computer after is has been off for several hours, it will post just fine, go to the Windows XP start up screen, and then shut off completely with no warning or error message after a few seconds. I can then immediately hit the power button again and it will post again and then tell me the computer did not shut down from Windows correctly and ask me if I want to start in safe mode or normal mode. I can select normal mode and it will start up just fine almost every time on the second try. After the computer is up and running, re-starting the computer works just fine on the first try. I can even shut the computer completely off and it will start just fine on the first try. Only after the computer has been off for several hours do I have the problem with it starting on the first attempt. Here are my computer specs:

Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 mother board
AMD 5200+ dual core processor
1 GB G. Skill DDR2 Ram
430 watt Thermaltake power supply
Sapphire 1650 XT video card
250 GB Western Digital hard drive
Samsung CD/DVD burner

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!!!

Ok, I just had a custommer with the same problem and same cpu. Must be something about the amd dual cores, but anyways sounds to me like youve got a serious overheating problem. Try to see if your bios setup has a power management tab, and see if ur cpu and mobo are running at steady temps. Also make sure that there is a good amount of thermal grease between the cpu and the heatsink. If all those are fine proceed to remove themotherboard and make sure you put on the little cloth washers that came with your mobo between the mobo and the set screws you tighten the board down on. If still nothing I would try to reinstall Windows XP. Let me know what happens

Thanks for the reply. The cpu temp. is running right now at 17 C. and the system temp is 25 C. I suspected a heat problem also and turned off the "Smart Fan" option so that the fan runs at about 3,200 rpm constantly, but still had the problem. I installed the processor with the heat sink and thermal pad that come with the processor, but I do have some Arctic Silver that I could try if you think it would help. I had already reinstalled Windows XP, so I don't think that's the problem. One thing did get my attention in your reply....my m.b. did not come with any kind of cloth washers that you mentioned, nor does it mention them in the instruction manual that came with the board. Would that maybe cause the problem? Are those washers commercially available? Thanks again for your help!!!

Well I too once had this problem, but it was just a software problem, installed a new software and it continued crashing my PC, I just started in safe mode made a system restore and everything was fine again. but you said that it does start normally on the second try.. so I cant help you much.

I suppose one of the things that puzzles me most is the fact that it will almost always start up fine on the second try. Also the fact that I only have the problem after the computer has been turned off several hours or overnight. Thanks for your reply.

The washers are sold in almost any computer store but the problem with not having them is your motherboard gould be grounding out. But if that were the case it probably wouldn't post at all. A CPU temp of 17C sounds way too low. Where are you getting this reading. After it shuts down upon restart go into bios and check the health ststus to see what the temp is. But if it was high temps it would do this after the second startup also even worse not clear up. I dont think its temps. I'm wondering If your BIOS battery is faulty. Although you would lose your time and settings so i'm not sure of that either. Try another Power Supply if you have one. Unplug everything on your computer but CPU RAM Video card Mouse Keyboard and startup in BIOS and leave it running for awhile to see if it shuts down.If it dosnt start pluging your divices in one at a time and restart in bios and test it again You get the idea.

I check the temps at the BIOS health status, and after the computer does start sucessfully, I check the temps with a monitoring/adjusting program called Easy Tunes 5 that came with the motherboard. I was surprised too at the low temps. The highest I have seen it get is the mid 30's, so I don't think it's a heat problem either. Replacing the BIOS battery would be an inexpensive, easy thing to check, but I do not lose my times or settings at the present time, so I'm guessing it won't help. I think I will try it anyway. I do have another power supply that I will try. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom