CPU Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirk

Beta member
how would i find out what my northbridge is in order to find out what kind of processor i can upgrade to.

i have an intel desktop board D845EBG2 with a P4 1.8 Ghz processor.

from what ive been able to find my mobo can handle up to a P4 2.8Ghz 533 mhz but I can't find out if its a prescott, northwood or what..

any ideas on how I would obtain this info?

The northbridge is a processor on the motherboard, but has nothing to do with what processor you can upgrade to. You can't upgrade the northbridge. You need to find out which SOCKET the motherboard uses for the pentium 4 you have now. In this case, your motherboard is Socket 478, so, ANY socket 478 Intel CPU SHOULD work in that board.

well ur half right.... i already know its 478 however northridge isnt a processor its a processor type.. and some mobos can not support certain types.. such as northwood or prescott. for example.. a mobo that supports northwood may not support prescott.. so yes it does have much to do with what i can upgrade to. however a friend of mine has helped me out and shown me that it is auniversal board so it can support any type.

northbridge is the type of chipset on the processor side of the motherboard.. u then also have southbridge which is for the card slot side of the mobo.

but thanx for replying.

Wow. Why did you come and ask a question if what you really wanted was someone to lecture, incorrectly at that?

He said northbridge. Not northridge. You also said northbridge. Northbridge is a chipset, not a CPU. You don't want to upgrade the north bridge, nor the south bridge. You want to upgrade the Socket 478 CPU.

Next time, if you think someone slipped up and wrote something stupid, stop and think for a second. You'll realize you want to hit yourself.

P.S. Ur is not a word. That's a keyboard, not a cellphone.
P.P.S. The type has nothing to do with it. Every C2D mobo will always support the Allendale E4300 and the Conroe E6300/E6400, unless there is a defect. What determines if it will work or not, is the socket type, and the name (Not conroe/allendale/prescott, but Core 2 Duo, Pentium 4, Pentium D).
P.P.P.S. No, "Ur" is still not a word. Go find a cell phone, and then you're justified in doing that.

ok first off ull see that i never said i wanted to upgrade the northbridge.. and northridge was a typo. 2nd off in order to upgrade the cpu u need to make sure its the right northbridge whether it be a northwood or a prescott or whatever... 3rd who the **** are you? if u dont have helpful information dont post. 4th ur is commonly accepted on the internet and if you have nothing to do but correct peoples internet grammar.. i think its U that should hit URself. grammar is grammar so why would a cell phone justify it. get a life loser and dont post unless you have something helpful to add. some motherboards will only take a prescott. some will only take a northwood etc.. if you dont know that.. go back to tech school and then come back and post something useful.

Re:

Hello,

The main factor determining processor upgradeability is the socket type on the motherboard, and whether the BIOS has support for the processor - in which case if it doesn't, may require a reflashing to a newer BIOS version.

The chipset is designed to work with one or two classes of processors. For example, the Nvidia nForce2 chipset only works with Socket A processors (AMD Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP, Sempron).

However, the type of northbridge you have with your chipset is not so helpful nor relevant when determining processor upgradeability, since the northbridge will support a class of processors (which is more often than not, all processors of the same socket type). The socket type and whether your BIOS supports the processor is more important and relevant.

This is because, on your motherboard:

Northbridge > Socket > Processor

The chipset determines the socket on the motherboard, the socket determines what processor you can use. Therefore, it's the socket type that your interested in, not the chipset (or northbridge) since you already know the socket.

squirk said:
ok first off ull see that i never said i wanted to upgrade the northbridge.. and northridge was a typo. 2nd off in order to upgrade the cpu u need to make sure its the right northbridge whether it be a northwood or a prescott or whatever... 3rd who the **** are you? if u dont have helpful information dont post. 4th ur is commonly accepted on the internet and if you have nothing to do but correct peoples internet grammar.. i think its U that should hit URself. grammar is grammar so why would a cell phone justify it. get a life loser and dont post unless you have something helpful to add. some motherboards will only take a prescott. some will only take a northwood etc.. if you dont know that.. go back to tech school and then come back and post something useful.

I understand northridge being a typo, but you also said, and I quote:
well ur half right.... i already know its 478 however northridge isnt a processor its a processor type.. and some mobos can not support certain types..

the north bridge has, at best, a negligible amount to do with what processor it can support. In case you can't read, I'm Ellothar121. Ur is not commonly accepted on any high school or college writing, and if you were to do it at work, your mental capacity would most likely be questioned. I expect that you've used a cell phone for, and realize how tedious it is to hit four buttons just to get a simple message across. If you've taken any courses in computers, you've learned an efficient way to type, and it would take a very small amount of time to press two extra keys.
Some motherboards will only take a prescott, but if it takes any other P4, then it will take all P4's. If you look at the above post, you'll realize that what I said is a summary, hostile or otherwise.

EDIT: In an effort to be direct, I will try to answer your first question.

According to this, your motherboard supports Pentium 4s, but not Prescotts. The Prescott version of the 2.8GHz Pentium 4 has 1MB Cache, and the list on that page has 512KB listed, which is the regular Pentium 4.

well imagine that.. it supports p4s but not the prescott northbridge and I thought you said it supports any p4 and that the northbridge has a "negligible amount to do with what processor I can upgrade to. weird. Also no one here is talking about college or high school.. I said it was accepted on the internet.. which, in case you haven't noticed, is the avenue through which we are communicating. Nor did I ever say I would type that in a job atmosphere. So anyway, if UR quite through grading my essay Mrs. Crabapple, I'd like this topic to be done with since all thats going on now is useless flaming and grammar corrections.

GG

Well imagine that... I not only saved myself an abundance of money by not attending tech school, I gave some helpful information, which you thought me devoid of.

Anyways, Pentium 4 Prescotts are the only exception to the "(Not conroe/allendale/prescott, but Core 2 Duo, Pentium 4, Pentium D)" Rule I mentioned above, to my knowledge.

When I said prescott, I assumed you'd understand what I was getting at.

I and those whom I associate myself with make it a point to write on the internet as if those viewing said area of the internet were scrutinizing and allotting financial values to our sentiments, whether devoid of emotion or otherwise. I realize that many do not share our personal views, but I still feel that the incessant use of Ur and the myriad of vocabulary accompanying it could be avoided with a simple tap of "Y" and "O", or "O" instead of an extra "K". I could go on, but I won't, if only because I feel that my time is better spent with my compatriots.

rofl get a life man. instead of giving me the advice i asked for to begin with U judged and flamed on me only to be in the end.. wrong. like i said.. this conversation is over .. get over URself and UR grammar fetish. good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom