Easy PCI-E question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunder

Baseband Member
Okay I check the wiki topic on the PCI-E slots. But I'm still confused with my head hurting for thinking to darn much and tring to understand the slot diagram and needs. I been out of the loop on computer technology for my Computer is about 4 to 5 yrs oldm (yes it use to be use for gaming to make fun of me =p). I wanna build a new computer and give Grandpa computer to my folks. here are the questions.

. I look for PCI-E info (espcially Wiki) what I need to understand is do I need exactly 2 video cards to have it work or to get that PCI-E experiance off the motherboard? Cause I seen a Diagram showing 2 Video Cards being connected and then bridged together with what seems like a lil boarding connecting the 2 video cards together.

Or do I just need 1 video card that uses the PCI-E to get the whole x16 experiance?

The two cards is SLI or Crossfire, which is using 2 cards to increase performance, usually only marginally.

You can buy boards that have anywhere from 1-3 PCI-E cards, and a single PCI-E card will run on all of the boards.

Would I get better game experiance then AGP if I just used 1 Video card then?

PCI-E is just a newer technology allowing for faster speeds than AGP. Using a single PCI-E 6800 GT isn't actually noticably faster than an AGP 6800 GT, but it does allow you to upgrade to newer cards as and when your budget allows (that was simply an example).

Thank you all for your help =). Well I gotta idea what to get but thats another topic for another forum. =).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom