going the amd route

Status
Not open for further replies.
^yes it will require a bios update from what i read^
and also am2 is am2, so it will work on any of them.
i think the agena will have hypertransport 3.0, though...and unless you have a new mobo, that will not work (it will step down to your current ht).

charles_scott said:
Finaly someone is doing what no one else would bother with. :) And what is this Agena thing someone mentioned? I haven't kept up with hardware lately since it started to develope at an extreme rate... Will it work in any AM2 system? Or would there need to be a BIOS update? Anyways, yea/....
Agena is AMD's quad core desktop chip, due to be released, as far as I can tell, on 21 June.

AMD claims it'll have up to 40% better performance than Intel's quad core CPU's

Apokalipse said:
Agena is AMD's quad core desktop chip, due to be released, as far as I can tell, on 21 June.

AMD claims it'll have up to 40% better performance than Intel's quad core CPU's

will they be making it for socket 1204??? so i can run two of them bad boys and have 8 cores?

Agena will be socket AM2+, with HTT 3.0 (4GHZ), but backward compatible with AM2 (HTT 1.0, 2GHZ)

Agena FX will be socket 1207+, with HTT 3.0, and I think it will be backward compatible with 1207

Barcelona is the server chip, in 1207+ only

i guess i'll be buying my mobo first then :D along with the case

well.. here's what i'm looking at within 3 months or so

Dual fx70's (if i'm impatient)
4 GB S.Skill DDR2 800
1 EVGA 8800GTX
1 Sounblaster X-fi Platinum (I need fiber optics so i can have optimal sound quality!)
1 Blu-Ray Drive (Regular DVD's look like crap on 1680x1050)
1 500GB HDD (For optimal Torrenting Capacity!)
3 DVD Burners
700 Watt Thermaltake Toughpower

gonna end up around the 2500 dollar area with case and everything... and well i need a monitor too.. so 3000... probably pick me up another 22 inch, only try out the samsung this time around

Looking to build me a beast... i just recently started going into the torrenting "business" and i really need something that'll crunch all the downloading and converting and imaging and such.. and burning cd's from cd's and all that... and the gtx just to play games with ease while doing it all

so i don't think i need to wait for this agena... 2 fx70's should be way more than alright... when i'm gonna have em both oc'd to 3.0 ghz on cpns 9700's!

and as for my computer now.... this too will probably be doing some torrenting and gaming while the friends are over

friday i will be ordering the case FOR SURE, and if i can get the money from one account to the other on time.. then i will be ordering either the motherboard..... if not... then i'll be getting the power supply/hard drive

I like the idea that this isn't really a practical way to have a good system.... Wasn't this just a temp fix for AMDs server lines?

charles_scott said:
I like the idea that this isn't really a practical way to have a good system.... Wasn't this just a temp fix for AMDs server lines?
nope, 4x4 is going to be widely deployed in servers.

It is actually a good idea. it allows more cores per motherboard, and thus lower power usage, lower maintenance, higher bandwith, lower latencies etc...

4x4 was designed specifically for servers

yep but AMD can't use Athlon 64 as the main stream processor to compete with intel no more. So their really hard at work making a decent quad-core and 8-core. Wonder how Agena will turn up...
Me i'm looking for a Socket F System myself but are they gonna make some crossfire chipsets for socket F? I kinda wanna stick wit ATI, hope ATI will make Direct X10 cards soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom