uncool ram ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufreeh

Baseband Member
i have 2 chips of the following ram installed in my system

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-440&depa=0

got them through newegg too last year .. however i recently ran a diagnostic program that one of the members on the forum had pasted a link to in some topic .. its aida 32 worldwide sysinfo tool verion 3.75 and according to it, my memory speed shows its as a pc2700 (DDR 333 166Mhz) ram whereas i made the purchase for a pc3200 (DDR400 200Mhz) ... i tried looking into bios and other windows settings but can't figure out how to get that darn pc3200 thingy to be enabled ..

either i don't know how to get around to making it work or i got ripped off .. :-/

i am running an amd athlon xp 2500+ barton on an asus a7n8x-deluxe mobo .. suggestions, tips, pity anyone ?

ok tried using sandra too ... reports the same result as the previous benchmark did .. a pc2700 running at 334 Mhz and bus speed 167 mhz .. :(

now how do i actually get it up2 pc3200 @ 400 mhz / 200 mhz .. if that is what newegg intended to send me ..

What are your FSB and multiplier numbers? (166*11 ?)

i may be wrong, but if your FSB speed on your processor is set at 166MHz then you would only realize 333MHz form your RAM (PC2700).

go into your BIOS and set the FSB speed to 200MHz and reduce the multiplier to 9. This should get your RAM to run at 400MHz. then, if you want to, you can increase the multiplier (9 to 9.5 to 10 to 10.5...) to see where your Processsor tops out at. this will mean that you're overclocking the processor. Hope that helps. :)

^ What Hercules says. I'm getting pretty much the same setup as you when running at stock speeds, (166 / 333mhz) the ram shows up as PC2700, because, well, it runs at PC2700 speeds. PC3200 (200/400mhz) is the "top-speed" withing "safe" factory-determinded stability margins of the ram stick.

I get the same kind of result when I overclock my 2500+ at 3200+ speeds, it then shows up as a 3200+. The computer doesn't seem to detect the "real" name/stock speed of the component, it only names them according to their current running speeds.

EDIT: depending on your BIOS, you may have to switch the FSB and the memory speed to 200mhz to get full potential. On my A7N8X-E deluxe, if I only change the FSB, the Ram keeps its 166mhz speed.

you have a Barton chip wich is 333FSB.... so thats the bottlneck of your system! in other words your system will run at 333 until you updrage to a 400FSB chip (AMD3200+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom