How much can I overclock an AMD 4800 X2 with stock cooling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nagasama said:
great.
yeah reading your post, when it freezes or resets itself, it is usually the cpu voltage. note the word ususally. i know that when i have a ram issue, i will get a bsod...not a freeze.
do you still have your ram running at 400mhz?
i would definitely leave the cpu multi at 4. it will cause instability (highly likely) if you leave it at 5. also, i suggest lowering your ram speed to the next lowest or two settings below 400 speed (keep it below 400) and push the cpu as far as you can. then, if it is stable, try to up your ram speed to either get it close to 400 or overclock it a little (always nice lol).
if you get past cpu ext clock of 250, you should lower your ht multi to 3 (you want to keep it at or below 1000 for stability reasons).
p.s. i think you mis-typed...?
you said you raised memory voltage to 1.4, i think you mean cpu voltage.
you should monitor your temps while running p95 and that will give you a good indication of your cpu max ok voltage. i personally don't like to see mine much over 60 running p95. unless you are doing some intense work on it, you will hardly ever use as much resource as p95.
i can juice mine up to 1.6V and still be at a relatively comfortable temp, but the performance trade off is not worth the heat generation in my opinion.
good luck!

Yes before I went out I remembered that I made some mistake in the post it was actually the CPU voltage that I change to 1.4 also the cpu ext clock is around 220mhz and the memory is currently running at 440mhz.

nagasama said:
seven hours satisfies my requirements of stability when i overclock...
now go up farther lol

I don't know about that I remember I read somewhere that I should not overclock more than that if I was with stock cooling.

But now that you mention "go farther" I'm thinking on overclocking the VGA I have been able to get as far as 420mhz once from 350 stock but last time when I tried Id get some bizarre graphical color in games ( CoD2 for example) trees purple and pink lol the worst part ??
I jsut tried to raise the core to 370 and still get does bizzare colors issues.

Your bizzare color issues is the video card artifacting because it is unstable. You should downclock and scan for artifacts till its stable or set it to default and slowly work your way up raising it in 5 mhz intervals and run a artifact scanner like atitool for 10 minutes.

i managed to get mine running at 2.76 ghz ,230 x 12
htt 4x vcore 142 ram 2.80 with no isues ran prime 95 for 14 hours
i just bought zalman 9700 flower cooler which keeps ,my temps at 33c,
- 40 too 45 under load

I was able to overclock my X2 4800+ to 2.82GHz and that is about all.

FSB = 332
CPU Mult = 8.5
Mem = 133
Vcore = 1.6V
VDimm = 2.8V
Mem Settings are 2-3-2-6

Last Update:

Yesteday before I was going to bed I start watching a video of the GDC keynote of Sony e.c.t streaming from gamespot website while watching the video I got a Blue Screen of Death, to make the story short yesterday before i get to bed my pc have 3 to 4 Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) in 1 hour, I couldn't help it and just put back the stock CPU clocks and everything start running fine again I don't know why the cause was but can anyone tell me what I did wrong while overclocking :( ?

I even download and install a program before reverting back to the stock settings, a monitoring program for several parts of the hardware including the CPU and was running at 33c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom