How much can I overclock an AMD 4800 X2 with stock cooling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanto

Daemon Poster
Hi all,

Since yesterday I have been hyped with the thoughts of overclock my CPU, I was reading in other websites e.c.t and it seems that I can overclock my CPU 2.6ghz without problem.

The truth is I have never been a fan in overclocking but yesterday I said to myself "hey what can I lose for trying to get a little more performance of my CPU after all is an AMD ;) and everyone seems to do it without any problems at all. " So I decided to give it a try, to make the story short I was out of luck :(, I even got a message after I put all the settings back to normal saying that "some registry files were recover from a log" (something like that)

Anyway I manage to get the processor running at 2.6ghz but it was not stable and I don't know why and thats what I would like anyone could help me out with.

What exactly configuration I need to make in the BIOS to make the overclock stable.

(sorry for the long post :eek: )
Thnx in advance sincerely:

--Phanto

not a pro at over-clocking at all, but over-clocking with a stock fan is a bad idea in all. The reason why you are probably getting an error message is because the temperature of your CPU is rising and you BIOS is picking it up and seeing your CPU temp as unstable.

Getting a new Heatsink/Fan for your CPU will reduce the temperature of your CPU by approx. 10 degrees, this gives you a lot of room to over-clock while keeping your CPU at a stable temperature :)

now this is just a guess, and i would like someone to back me up on this :p

you can overclock as far as it will go!!! there are two probable causes for your instability

1. the cpu needs more voltage (Vcore)
2. the memory is unstable from being overclocked with the FSB. "loosen" the timings, use a divider or increase the memory voltage (Vdimm).

i don't reccomend messing around with the voltages of either too much. voltage is the main thing that CAN fry components if you're not careful or don't know what you are doing. if you have voltage adjustments available to you only ever increase by the smallest possible increment, stability test and then if necessary try a little more. you should always be aware of the voltage limits for your components though as exceeding them could cause damage. for your processor i would be confident giving it 1.4v in any situation as it should be warrantied for that.

nitestick said:
you can overclock as far as it will go!!! there are two probable causes for your instability

1. the cpu needs more voltage (Vcore)
2. the memory is unstable from being overclocked with the FSB. "loosen" the timings, use a divider or increase the memory voltage (Vdimm).

i don't reccomend messing around with the voltages of either too much. voltage is the main thing that CAN fry components if you're not careful or don't know what you are doing. if you have voltage adjustments available to you only ever increase by the smallest possible increment, stability test and then if necessary try a little more. you should always be aware of the voltage limits for your components though as exceeding them could cause damage. for your processor i would be confident giving it 1.4v in any situation as it should be warrantied for that.

what u have to mess with the voltage to OC? Omg, i didnt know that n BIOS always told me to not set it too high or i damage the RAM, or in this case, the CPU. Get's me scared to mess with the voltage :amazed:.

coleman said:
The reason why you are probably getting an error message is because the temperature of your CPU is rising and you BIOS is picking it up and seeing your CPU temp as unstable.
now this is just a guess, and i would like someone to back me up on this :p

sorry, nope. not temperature...it would probably just turn off if that was the case.
i have to agree with nitestick...it is one of his suggestions. i am assuming it is a toledo 4800 since it is s939.
i suggest (as nitestick) did...
dude with an amd you are gonna have to raise the voltage. nstick says 1.4...he knows s939 better than me but i can run my am2 hot at like 1.55 if neccessary lol.
probably it is a combination of both, although at a .2ghz increase i do not think it is the ram YET.
it will be, tho as you go farther. raise your voltage a half volt (.5 lol) or so and see if you can stabilize it. it could also be your ht multiplier. try lowering it from auto or 5 down to 3 or 4.

nagasama said:
sorry, nope. not temperature...it would probably just turn off if that was the case.
i have to agree with nitestick...it is one of his suggestions. i am assuming it is a toledo 4800 since it is s939.
i suggest (as nitestick) did...
dude with an amd you are gonna have to raise the voltage. nstick says 1.4...he knows s939 better than me but i can run my am2 hot at like 1.55 if necessary lol.
probably it is a combination of both, although at a .2ghz increase i do not think it is the ram YET.
it will be, tho as you go farther. raise your voltage a half volt (.5 lol) or so and see if you can stabilize it. it could also be your ht multiplier. try lowering it from auto or 5 down to 3 or 4.

When I tried I did lower down the HT Multiplier to 3x the Memory speed to 133, then 166 and the last time I just let the stock speed 400. (BTW when I left the DDR running at 400 it was actually running around 420mhz.

If I remember correct the first time I tried to overclocking the PC manage to boot fine but when I was downloading some benchmark programs e.c.t suddenly the computer stop responding and freezes and I did have to press the hard reset button.
In the second try I manage to change some setting in the BIOS and then run PC Mark 05 but before finishing the tests the PC restart itself.

So what should I do?

Thnx in advance once again :)

Update:

I manage to overclock the CPU doing the exact same things as the last time only this time I did what nitesick told I increase the memory voltage to 1.4 and so far I run the PC Mark 05 and went up from 5191(stock) to 5661 (2.6ghz). I will be running the Prime 95, and let you guys know if something comes up.

Thnx all for your help :D

great.
yeah reading your post, when it freezes or resets itself, it is usually the cpu voltage. note the word ususally. i know that when i have a ram issue, i will get a bsod...not a freeze.
do you still have your ram running at 400mhz?
i would definitely leave the cpu multi at 4. it will cause instability (highly likely) if you leave it at 5. also, i suggest lowering your ram speed to the next lowest or two settings below 400 speed (keep it below 400) and push the cpu as far as you can. then, if it is stable, try to up your ram speed to either get it close to 400 or overclock it a little (always nice lol).
if you get past cpu ext clock of 250, you should lower your ht multi to 3 (you want to keep it at or below 1000 for stability reasons).
p.s. i think you mis-typed...?
you said you raised memory voltage to 1.4, i think you mean cpu voltage.
you should monitor your temps while running p95 and that will give you a good indication of your cpu max ok voltage. i personally don't like to see mine much over 60 running p95. unless you are doing some intense work on it, you will hardly ever use as much resource as p95.
i can juice mine up to 1.6V and still be at a relatively comfortable temp, but the performance trade off is not worth the heat generation in my opinion.
good luck!

Hey Phanto, I have the same board as you sadly but it has a bfg sticker on it. The bios should be similar and if thats true overclocking will be tough. I wish I had a DFI right now instead of this POS (Thanks Mom!).

Update:

When I arrived from the gym today at 7:00pm I stop the Prime95 stress test after 6 hours & 43 minutes with 0 errors, 0 warnings. Yeah!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom