Reformatting a new Acer laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_PC

In Runtime
Just recently got my New laptop(Acer TM4233)
And it has a Partition (35GB, Half of the space) Used for Acerdata(backup).
It also uses FAT32.
Can anyone see a problem in me reformatting completely, and making it a single drive.
Will I have to use a special Acer copy of XP Pro like the Laptop with supplied with for the serial number to work, Or can I just use a normal XP Pro?

Chris_PC said:
Just recently got my New laptop(Acer TM4233)
And it has a Partition (35GB, Half of the space) Used for Acerdata(backup).
It also uses FAT32.
Can anyone see a problem in me reformatting completely, and making it a single drive.
Will I have to use a special Acer copy of XP Pro like the Laptop with supplied with for the serial number to work, Or can I just use a normal XP Pro?

You can use a regular xpp. But I don't recommend you to remove that partition, it can be useful, if any virus or something/somebody attack your computer.

I would be doing regular backups anyway, Id just do it as I do on my PC.
I find that partition a waste of space, and It would also be nice to get rid of all the Built in Acer ****. :cool:

You'll be fine using Windows XP Pro. As long as you have a Windows installation CD. You'll be fine, you won't need that wasted partition.

Re:

Hello,

I bought an Acer laptop recently. It came with an OEM version of Windows XP Media Centre Edition preinstalled, and the drive had an Acer backup partition (in case I wanted to restore my system to factory state). But I didn't want an Acer Backup partition wasting space, so I formatted the hard drive entirely, and installed Windows XP defining my own partitions.

As with most systems with preinstalled operating systems, if the laptop didn't come with a recovery disc, then you'll want to burn some, before you format, just in case.

On Acer systems, there should be a utility instaled on the system called Acer eRecovery, part of the Acer Empowering Platform. You can create a set of recovery discs using this utility, but this is up to you.

If you're going delete your Windows partition, and install Windows XP again, then there's no point in keeping the Acer backup partition because acer recovery wouldn't work anymore anyway.

The Acer disk you are referring to only works on your machine Dell does the same thing but you can use the normal Windows XP or Vista disk and install it on your computer

It wont void the warranty will it.
Also, The Key I was provided with wont work on a Normal copy of XP will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom