Windows XP upgrade to Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1311

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I am in the process of choosing a PC and i'm undecided on the windows OS to go for.
I like the sound of the windows vista, but i've been advised from numerous people to stay clear of it for a while-until MS have sorted the teething troubles out.

Would people here agree?

So what I was considering is buying a PC with XP on it, then upgrade it to the vista later. Has anyone upgraded their OS from XP to vista? and if so is there any pottential problems?

Thanks in advance, any info gratefully appreciated

AV1311

I have vista running on both my work computer, and my laptop. I love it and have had none of these teething issues you are hearing about. I would buy a pc that was already preloaded with Vista and move on from XP. Just my two cents

Well I too heard that it has some trouble and some compatibility issues, I'm not going to upgrade till SP2 is out! But if you like Vista, you can always have your XP transformed to Vista (Like I have done) but I still have XP :D

I run a variety of apps, and with the exception of Nero I have been able to get nearly all of them to work. Vista is a great OS, and there is no way that I would ever go back to XP now.

yea, upon hearing all the suposedly "problems" with vista, i decided that i wasnt going to get it for a while. but then i got vista yesterday. and no, i will not go back to XP.

... Vista is fine, their aren't that many issues.

People are just putting vista down because they don't like having to pay for it.

Eventually vista will be like xp, a necessity for any computer.

My parents got Vista, and it's a cool OS but it has its flaws. Most programs run just fine. However, I didn't have too much luck playing some games. Jedi Academy (my favorite game) runs terrible, and after one use or so, refuses to load, ending in a VM_Create error. Also, be prepared for quite a shock when you go to configure it, as NOTHING is ANYTHING like it was in XP. Networking setup is confusing because of the new user folder system, where the users folders have been moved and sharing files is default password protected. So, if your users don't have passwords, sharing is ruined and you have to figure out how to turn it off. They made an awesome interface, then redid the age old menu system that people are used to in favor of this....

Also, the thing is crammed with annoyances, like, you put in a CD, and instead of autorunning it, like XP would, it asks you "Do you want to run this or not"...I'm thinking..."Why did I put the CD in? TO RUN IT!"...And when you want to copy a file...it asks you "Are you sure you want to copy this file?"...it's security is waaaaaaay out of it, and I sure hope SP1 gets rid of these minor problems, because they are detracting from what could be the best OS ever because of the incredible look of the Aero Glass and other effects it has.

I have absolutly no problems with my Vista as far as I can see. Runs great on my computer and has been running great since I installed it.

Try installing that Jedi Game in backwards compatibility mode. For the most part if programs wont run in Vista, they run perfect in backward compatibility mode. Another thing I really like about Vista is the drivers that are native to the OS. If you look at my signature below, you can see I have a pretty high end system. When I installed Vista, every driver including the one for my wireless NIC were installed and ready to go. People were unsure about XP at first and for good reason. The earlier versions of XP were less than great. Vista has been in development for several years and is really stable right out of the box.

It is well known that Vista detects errors much better than XP. So, you are going to see a lot of Error messages if you have been using your PC for a while.

And really using it for a while.
if you can understand what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom