$450

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's not much you can get when you've only got $450 to build an entire system.

Pentium D's are the least expensive dual cores there are.

Than all PD's? I found a 4MB Cache Pentium D (here) , and it's only $12 more.

I have to go, my dad's shutting off my power cord, and my battery hasn't been functioning well lately. Tell me what you think, please ^.^

yeah, i think the 65nm x2's are better than PD. you can overclock it to have it match the low C2D cores (e6300/e6400/e6600)

Thanks!

As I understand it, Linux can be put into a graphical user interface with the use of something like Ubuntu or Kubuntu (etc.), right?

...How would I go about getting a copy of Linux, and how much would it cost me?

EDIT: ...Is Linux not compatible with AMD Processors? T.T
^ Never mind, I found Ubuntu 64-bit ^.^ Apparently you can buy it for $1.95 from a 94% Positive Feedback Retailer off of Amazon.com (From amazon directly, it is $9.95)

What can I use in conjunction to Ubuntu to allow it to play Windows games (I'm currently including the processor Apokalipse mentioned)

Thank you all thus far!

New development: My dad has offered to give my friend an old Monorail 6200, free of charge. He'll give him a relatively older monitor, and a keyboard/mouse/speaker set. I figure the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers are good no matter what, but I wanted to know if a non-PCI Mobo w/ a Celeron is worth having... It works for the Internet, and would come with Windows 98 pre-loaded.

Would this be good for now, and later we can upgrade the mobo/CPU/VGA, and add in a bigger hard drive? The HD is only 4.3GB's, so that'd need to be upgraded ASAP as well...

Sorry, I forgot to mention the specs:
(This is straight from inside the case)
Monorail PC Product Line
6200 Line, Int. 3D Aud & Vid, 3.5" Floppy
Intel Celeron 366-MHz with 128k Cache
32MB PC100 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
(Shared Memory: 8MB Dedicated to video)
4.3GB Ultra ATA Smart EIDE Hard Drive
MS Windows 98
1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty
40x EIDE CD-ROM
56k v.90 PCI Modem
~~~

Oh, and also: I've got my laptop dual-viewing on the monitor, and it looks great ^.^

It's 19 inches, not widescreen, but my laptop won't let it go to the 2048 x 1536 that the Settings window in XP's Display Properties shows... >.>

Lol, not a bad start, but good luck getting Warcraft running on that at an 'acceptable' speed... I KNOW it SHOULD work, but would be slow and choppy and the like, but I could bare with it. I was among the last of my friends with a PC. Mine came from a cousin that got it from work during a Y2K upgrade, it was a 100 Mhz Intel P1 (with 133 Mhz evergreen upgrade.... ZOMG!) 72 meg of RAM, and ALL ISA cards, not a single PCI card. I actually had Diablo 2 RUNNING on that PC for the first few months I got it.... (averaging 1-2 FPS.....)... Geez, I still have that PC too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom