did i fry my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieo

Baseband Member
so this is what happened i took out my ram to see what type i had. then i put it in the wrong way and i thought it was in so i turned on my comp and in about a second it smelt like something was burning so i turned off my comp. found out i did put my ram in backwords and now i put it in the correct way. then i turn on my comp and nothing its just a black screen. no bios come up or anything. i took out the ram and tryed it on another comp works fine. then took out hard drive tryed that on another comp and works fine. so now i think i fried the mobo is there anyway i can check if i did and if i didnt can it be fixed? thank you and yes i know im quiet stupid for putting the ram in backwords :|

The best thing to do IMO, is to place all hardware parts to another motherboard and test if they all work.

now what kind of ram did you use that you were able to fit it in the socket backwards? if it was SDRAM or DDR you brokje your mobo already, because fitting a ram in the socket backwards cracks a little seperator in the socket. Chances are you fit part of the ram in and thought it was secure and turned on your machine. Try pulling the CMOS chip and disconnecting all Wires from the mobo, let it stand for a few hours and recconect everything, if that doesnt help then you most likeley need a new board.

yea thats what i did. i just put the ram in backwards and thought it was secure. but when i turn on the comp everything seems to work i mean all the fans go on. the heatsink works the video card fan works so i know thats working i can feel the hard drive moving but when i turn on the comp i could hear like a beep but now i hear like the comp wants to make that beep but it just doesnt seem to do it. so i dont know what could be wrong. and also if i did fry my mobo how can i figure out what socket it is so i dont have to buy an all new cpu also.

ok i found a mobo that i think will be good and i will buy if my current one is fried. its http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2902396&CatId=1633
ok that one seems nice for me for the price. i dont really need a super high end mobo and stuff right now and that one seems fine. anyone have any opinions on it or any suggestions on what i should look for. also the DDR2 DIMM ram is not compatible with my DDR DIMM memory correct? thanks for all the help also.

ok thanks for the help. and is there anyway just to tell if i fried the mobo and not the processor or would i have to switch the processor on a diff mobo to test that out.

yes i know that mobo is a dif socket then the one i had but i was just wondering to see if i could maybe still use the processor if i build a new comp just need to buy the same socket mobo. thats why i was wondering how i could find out if my processor was fried other than trying it on a dif mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom