DVD Drive not detected on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. Famous

Solid State Member
My motherboard is the P5B-E and this is the DVD Drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151136

I've tried the setting the jumper in all 3 places. The power connection is fine as I can open the drive while it's on. Also, I'm using the IDE cable that came with my motherboard and it says "HDD Cable" on it. However, it fits in the DVD Drive just fine. Will it only work with Hard Drives though?

Hi. Does your DVD drive show in Device Manager or your BIOS? That IDE cable you're talking about, do you have your Hard Drive connected to it and you're trying to connect your DVD as a Slave? or that's the cable corresponding to the second IDE connector on your Motherboard? Post back with more info,please.

So you can open and close the DVD door? But it will not show up on "My Computer", so it's not detected? What about the device manager?

I haven't even installed an OS yet. Apparently a lot of people have had problems with the motherboard not detecting IDE drives because of the JMicron chip on the 965 motherboards. The DVD drive is the only one connected through IDE, my HD is using SATA. I've done some reading and it seems I can fix it through updating the BIOS. However I have no way of doing this because I have no floppy or any other drive. Any ideas?

*Edit*

Well, I feel foolish now. I never bothered to try the drive. So the only problem is getting BIOS to show that it's recognized, while the drive itself will actually work. Windows is installing now and I'll update everything too see if that takes care of it. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom