Accessing an Internal Hard Drive via a USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandango123

Beta member
Hello!

I have a Hitachi 80GB internal hard drive and I am trying to access teh data in my hard drive by connecting the internal hard drive to a 32 pin connector which has a usb connection on the other end (Is it called an IDE cable?). My laptop detects the USB connection but an error pops up saying that the drivers are not installed properly and as a result I cant see the drive.

Does anyone have any ideas? At this point I am planning on buying a USB external hard drive enclosure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jai

try connecting the hard drive while the laptop is on. then goot your control panel and double click "Add Hardware" let it run through and windows should detect it and install the proper drivers by itself.

I tried doing that and It showed me a list of hardwares to choose from and I could not find anything that says hardrive there.

Would you know which item I have to choose from that list?

Re:

Hello,

If it's a 3.5" drive, then you need an external power cord to power the drive (one with a molex connector).

Are you using one?

Yes, I have a power cord connected to the hard drive and a 32pin female connector at one end and a usb interface at the other end.
Essentially with this hardware my hd becomes an external HD with the only difference that its not in an enclosure.

I also tried changing my hd from master to slave, but that did not work either....Any suggestions?
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom