No 256 color on GeForce 5500 in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkags

Beta member
I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I recently installed a GeForce 5500 256MB PCI card into a Dell Dimension 2400. I then built the system as a dual-boot under XP with Win98SE as the "C" and XP Home as the "D". I primarily wanted to run the 98 so that I could replay X-Wing Collector CD. Everything works okay on the 98 except I cannot get the display adapter to display anything but 16 colors. I have the latest 98 driver for the 5500 and have set the onboard video adapter in BIOS to "Auto". On the XP side everything is working great.

Bottom-line: what needs to be done to get the 5500 to display 256 color?

Thanks,
wkags

Thanks, but this Dell doesn't allow full disable of the onboard graphics card, it only has setting for "onboard and auto". I forgot to mention that I am getting a resource error on the GeForce. It conflicts with the External BIOS area (I'm sorry, I'm not at my computer now so I don't exactly remember the area). But I am not allowed to manually reconfigure the resource for both the card and the conflict device. It only has one configuration option of "0000".

I don't need the help anymore. I don't know where I have been, but Lucas Arts posted a patch to allow the game I want to play to run on XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom