opty 152 hitting 3Ghz, Ram issues though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley73

Baseband Member
Hi there... Im just going through my first decent o/c with some new components and the cpu's o/c'ing really well on air with good temps.

At standard cpu volts (1.4V) with the fsb set to 219 on the original multiplier (13x)... its hitting 2.84Ghz stable with the ram upping from 220.4Mhz from a standard voltage (asus default, 2.6V) to 219Mhz. 2.2.2.5.

The problem (new to this) is when i up the fsb to 220, the ram drops down to 180Mhz and the sysem becomes unstable. Ive tried dropping the multiplier to 11, but the cpu hits 2.8-3Ghz stable around 280/+ fsb, but the ram still sits at 181Mhz.

Basically, the cpu likes 2.84Ghz and gives me a decent o/c on the ram... running at 219 (438) Mhz, all on stock voltage with temps idle at 35/36deg and load 46/47,
the cpu also has no problem sitting at 3+Ghz (not tested much over yet till i understand the ram issue) but the drop off of the ram (181mhz) slows down a little the basic performance on the p.c, booting ect.

The cpu's handled everything ive thrown at it so far, hot cpu tester/burn mode, orthos/small ftt, heavy load and all the 3d marks. ive burned most of them for an hour or so last night and all is well, once i find my feet, ill load it further.

I gather a 3 Ghz clock on an opty 152 with air and low temps is pretty good news for me... and it shure flys with the maxed 7950 GX2 570/1500 upping my fps from 60 to 70 on most benchmarks.

I just dont get the ram bit yet.... hope this kinda makes sense reading as its been a long night testing and as much as ive read, its all pretty new to me.

Grateful for any pointers or advice as if i can get the cpu to 3Ghz with good or improved ram Mhz, id be a happy chappy! :D the ram will go to 251 with looser timings by all accounts (3.3.3.6) so im guessing this is the problem and i dont know much about dividers or ratios yet.

appol's for any minor typo's

cheers, al

i would go ahead and loosen the timings to up the frequency of the ram.
certainly if that allows you to increase the clock speed, as you will notice more difference with clock speed vs ram timings.
thats a pretty good o.c. would be great to break 3ghz...

cheers M733Mhz...

the steppings CABIE 60082 if it helps anyone. it hit 3.2Ghz last night, but became unstable a few mins into cpu burn at 1.45v/multiply 10/fsb 320.

shure does like 3Ghz though... just a basic screenshot before i threw everthing at it.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2040/opty2vi1.jpg

taken it back down to 2.8Ghz/multy 10/fsb 280/ ram 218 Mhz until i get some watercooling as i think the temps (high 50's/very low 60's) had something to do with it stopping at 3.2Ghz, bit of water might see better:D

al

lol the oc bug no kiddin...it never goes away
dude good job on that you are one of the first amd users i have seen on the forums here to break 3.0ghz.
muy bueno my friend.

TheMajor said:
Very nice! Also stable in games?

i guess so....

the second screenshot above is a program called heavy load that works the cpu, mem and gpu, all at the same time, but ill force myself to max out the 7950GX2, cpu and spend a couple hours on F.E.A.R

its a tough job, LoL :)

cheers, al

EDIT* 2.6Ghz and 520mhz/1.3Ghz (3d mark 06) = 6038
3.1Ghz and 570Mhz/1.5Ghz (3d mark 06) = 7110
3 Hrs F.E.A.R maxed o/c'd out...My life is now complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom