Vista, eye candy, compatibilities and gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

joowan

In Runtime
off the top of my head i decided to go out and buy vindows vista home premium this morning. (mainly because my xp cd key has reached too many activations). after a fresh install, windows actually installed most of my drivers for me (how convenient). i loaded up my usual apps and found that windows had another update for me, so i install, reboot, windows loading screen, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH flashes, reboot, rince and repeat. at this point in time windows system restore failed. so i called up microsoft tech support, i was on the phone with the tech support guy for almost 3 hours, trying to figure out what it is that causes the startup crash. after eliminating the things not causing it. system restore went successfully, so i revert my pc back to about 3 hours earlier. i was able to go into my OS normally. (thank god) now windows has another update for me, i install, reboot, blue screen again. so i had to do ANOTHER system restore, and install those updates 1 by 1 to figure out which one it was.. turns out it was an update for my motherboard utility which allowed AI-Boost to overclock my PC thru windows. (that i did not need). so to give everyone a headsup, not all things updated by windows vista is compatible (-__-)

however the eye candy on this thing is awsome. and i think i like the new start menu better than XPs.

i did notice a decrease in gaming performance in world of warcraft, from a what used to be 60fps all around capped, (with Vsync) now varies around 60-40.

windows vista home premium min req needs 1gb of ram. to game with vista should i go 4gigs? or upgrade to 8800gtx when price calms down a bit?

Actually the minimum is as follows:
Min Processor Type 800 MHz
Min RAM Size 512 MB

However its recommended to have 1 GIG, but with gaming I feel you need at least 1.5 GIGS. (I'm personally running 2.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom