PC wont boot with on HDD in

Status
Not open for further replies.

synth7

In Runtime
For the longest time I've been running 4 SATA hard drives, 1x with OS, apps, etc, and the rest for media.

However, yesterday I did what I thought was going to be a normal reboot. But, after the Windows loading progress bar, it didn't do anything, it just sat at a black screen before eventually rebooting itself after about five minutes. At about 4min59sec of that five minutes, it would flash a BSOD really quick before I got a chance to see it. I swapped out my RAM, tried every combination I could, same thing. I swapped my video card into the other PCIe slot, same thing. On sheer coincidence, I happened to try and boot it up without my D:\ and it worked perfectly. I wiped C:\ (nothing imporant on it), reinstalled XP Pro, went off without a single problem. Got XP slightly configured, turned it off, plugged in my unplugged drive to confirm my suspicions, same black screen as before. Unplugged it, booted up, worked fine. Problem diagnosed. I did something some people might call dumb and left the power to the SATA drive as I booted up, and then after I got into Windows I plugged the drive SATA cable into the drive. Windows made the "new hardware found" sound, but right then Explorer froze and even killing the process and trying to run another one didn't work, so I'm assuming there is something wrong with the harddrive itself.

My real conundrum is, is there anything I can do to get the data off the drive? I don't have any other SATA motherboards on any other machines I can test it in. The 250GB drive currently has my 84GB (11000+ songs) of music on it, which I would rather not lose. If worst came to worst I could recover about 9400 songs off my iPod (80GB model) but that's a last ditch effort, as I have no idea how well that process works.

I've exhausted all of the options that I am aware of, and I'll feel like an idiot if someone comes up with something ridiculously easy, but I would appreciate all input.

I guess you already tried the different SATA ports on your motherboard?

Try an external HDD enclosure for 10-20 bucks.

Tried different SATA ports, SATA cable, nothing. What kind of drive error/problems could cause this?

nitestick said:
sounds like hdd failure :confused:. though, have you tried it with the power to the other two non-boot drives disconnected?

yes.

Right now I'm running SeaTools on it (its a Seagate drive), its found 3 errors and I'm doing the long test, so its been half an hour and only 8% complete. I'll report back.

Scanning with a Segate diagnostic tool (SeaTools for DOS) found 4 errors, repaired them and everything works now. Windows booted with the drive, I'm going to copy everything off of it and replace it sometime soon anyways.

Thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom