How to Reset Your CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
PW_Ranger, what are you talking about? Clearing the CMOS resets your BIOS! Your computer won't become rubbish, it'll just boot with default settings.

joshd: yeah, the battery is there to keep the CMOS alive while there is no power, and it does last very long. However it's not rechargeable, so eventually it will run out.

This just happened to my girlfriend's computer. She's used the computer like twice in the past two years (the horror!), so it was off all the time. The CMOS was thus relying on the battery to save the BIOS settings. What ended up happening? The battery died. So now every time she turns off her computer and then reboots, the BIOS is reseted.

PW_Ranger said:
i think removig the battries will on clear COMS but not to clear the bios...Bios could onil be restore to the default mode....if u clear bios ur computer nid become a rubbish

Technically correct. But its easier to use both interchangably becuase people today don't like to say "Reset the CMOS" or "I entered the CMOS Setup".

Comptia A+ teaches it this way but noone seems to care.
Ive stoped argueing long ago because people like BIOS Better then CMOS.

Ste said:
Technically correct.

Reviewing his post, you're right, he's technically correct. However it's all for the sake of clarity. I don't go around correcting people when they mix up speed and velocity, unless we're in a context where the distinction matters.

For Sempron 2800 series, removing the little clock battery from the motherboard should reset the BIOS (make sure you unplug your computer from the power source before you do this). Go back to your BIOS utilities and verify that time/date was reset.
Good luck!

Also to be noted. If you make a miscalculation while overclocking and your pc seems to hang at boot, remove the jumpers and re-insert them. I've seen so many people desperately trying to find out how to reset it.

reset bois and cmos jumpers, i did it when i overcloked tooo much, they are little pins with removable plastic bits on them, usually in the bottom right hand corner of the mobo

Thanks for that mate, but can this solve some Pc crashing problems? coz sometimes my Pc crashes, can this solve the thing?

Every motherboard is different I suppose. On my motherboard, I don't have to unplug the PSU to reset the CMOS. Also, I don't have to press the power button.

However, I recently experimented with a broken graphics card. Booting with it caused my BIOS to hang, even when using another graphics card afterwards. Resetting the BIOS only worked with my old card AND a PCI card inserted. I also had to press the power button to get it to reset properly.

But if I overclock too much, moving the jumper for 2 seconds will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom