Old Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn_Cycle

Baseband Member
Hey, I just picked up this old Micron computer which i've never heard of this brand which also worries me. Any ways i picked it up from my bro because he was going to throw it away. Anyways it is a
Pentium 2 running at 400MHZ
512MB of RAM
OS= M$ ME

So anyways its not a bad computer for being so old. But It has a **** load of viruses on it. So I am going to do a system restore on it and install linux on it. The problem with this is... When i reboot the comp it wont go to the linux screen as it should. I thought the cd rom might be defected. So i looked and it read perfectly but still won't load to the Ubuntu screen. Any Ideas?

Change the boot priority in the BIOS to boot from the CD first.

When you reboot, look for "Press *KEY* to enter setup"

Usually it's the delete key, F1, F2, or something else.

GREAAAAT! Now I have it loading the cd rom. But now when it gets past the loading screen it will turn black and freeze. :( Maybe I should try another distro?

It most definitely should work (it will be really slow but it will run). What version are you trying to use? 6.06 and try that if your not already.

Yeah, thats the one... I think I am going to switch to a smaller distro. Any ideas? I was thinkin Debian but that is probably just as big as Ubunutu.

Ok, this computer is definitely messed up!!! I can't reformat the C:
It freezes every time i try to put a different OS on it. I have no ideas on exactly what is wrong. Maybe I should scan the **** outta it??? Any other ideas would be great!

It says: "Not a valid Win32 app"

EDIT: S#!†... I guess you can't download it and transfer it to another computer. So I am gonna have to hook the POS up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom