Burnt capacitor on hard drive still usable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripp1n

Solid State Member
A few months ago i was rebuilding my pc and had my harddrive out and on top of a non static mat, i started up my pc and it set on fire, i quickly turned off the pc and the rest of my hardware was good. On top of the hard drive it has a clearly visible burn mark around one of the capacitors which is melted.
Now since i couldnt afford to lose all the info on it, i reconnected it and i even managed to burn gigs and gigs worth of stuff with nothing going wrong.
But since i didnt want to risk it i stashed it away and purchased a new hd.
My question is technically is it a risk(like me losing the rest of my hardware) for me to reconnect and use this hard drive daily, if so what could happen from this.
thanks

Probably all that would happen is the drive would die. A capacitor keeps voltage and charge at a constant, so it doesn't vary.

If I were you, I would go purchase a new capacitor (they're very cheap) and solder it on.

You shouldn't have a problem with burning out other hardware, unless it shorts somehow.

I agree with CrazeD, i would however try to goto a mom and pop shop, and see if they have old hard drives laying around, and see if they can find you a matching circuit board. They are very easy to replace, just four screws out and four screws in =D.

I had the same problem with my 160G Seagate. I went through all the old drives in my shop and found 2 circuit boards that fit my hard drive =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom