removing software that doesnt exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleman

Baseband Member
i removed my avg free from my computer when i got mcafee. Mcafee created a problem so i had to go into safe mode and go to system restore date.

I went back to a time where i had avg free still and now i get an error message when i start up my computer about avg free file not existing.

Im selling this computer to a friend and i want to get rid of the avg.

it wont let me uninstall under the add or remove programs...

how should i get rid of this error message / program?

Edit the registry and remove all entries for avg or grisoft. Go into msconfig and remove avg from startup menu as well. Boot to safe mode and delete any files/folders for avg/grisoft.
By the way, why remove a product and install one that isn't as good?

thanks ill try that, and to answer your question i got Mcafee for free with comcast, so i was going to try it out...but it ended up failing me :(

ok, the removing avg from startup menu didnt work. I can't delete the Grisoft folder in safe mode or normal, gives me an error:

"Cannot delete avgse.dll: Access is denied"

and im a noob for saying this but how do i delete the registry keys and such?:confused:

never restore to a time that you have already deleted something else. you should have reinstall avg then ran system restore

coleman said:
ok, the removing avg from startup menu didnt work. I can't delete the Grisoft folder in safe mode or normal, gives me an error:

"Cannot delete avgse.dll: Access is denied"

and im a noob for saying this but how do i delete the registry keys and such?:confused:

click start, run then type regedit in the box. It will bring up your registry editor. Then expand the registry entries by clicking the + sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then the + beside software. Look for AVG or Grisoft, right click and delete. Then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and do the same steps. Then, open my computer,"C", windows, and find the Prefetch folder. Open this folder and delete all it's contents. DO NOT delete the folder. Restart your computer.

Boy, if you don't know anything about the registry, and people are telling you to edit it, you'd better be real careful. You could really screw things up if you make a mistake. If you haven't already done it yet, make sure you make a backup of your registry before you edit. To do this, when you are in the registry editor, click File -> Export. This allows you to save a backup of your registry. Then if you screw something up, you can click File -> Import, and import the file that you saved. After you do this, then proceed with the instructions that superdave1984 gave you.

lol i deleted the registry right before you posted :rolleyes:

i dont get the startup error anymore which is great! That was my biggest concern.

but inside the grisoft folder i deleted all the files except for one:
"avgse.dll"

for some reason it wont let me delete it :amazed:

anyone know how to get rid of this?

Did you restart your computer and try it again? Sometimes if a process is running, it won't let you delete the file. So since everything else is deleted, maybe it won't load the process and you can delete the file.

If that didn't work try hitting ctrl-alt-del and click on the Processes tab. See if you can find "avgse.dll" in the list of processes. If it's there, highlight it and click the End Process button. Then try to delete the file.

great point, i'll try that when i get to my home computer, and yes i restarted my computer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom