Intalling windows xp on new comp that came /w dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan711

Solid State Member
My brothers laptop came with windows xp. I think it is the full version. Anyway i am buildind a new comp and i want to save a 100 bucks and use his cd, but it is not a normal xp d it says only for use with dell, and it is a mauve(redish) color. if this help we just reformatted his hdd and no dell add programs are on there or any of the stuff that came on it when we got it.

The problem with windows xp is that you can't install it on more than two comps. Microsoft requires registration online if the comp is never online it is fine but as soon as it goes online it checks with microsoft to install on second comp you have to call microsoft and tell then that its a laptop and you want to install it on their they will give you registration code but not more than twice.

I beg to differ i know someone ;) who has an illegal copy of windows on their comp. has been online and nothing so far.

The XP cd that came with your Dell computer is ONLY for that Dell model. Thats the problem with Dell, Compaq, ect that have computers build by them with their own parts! There almost impossible to upgrade as they usually dont accept parts that wernt made by them, and the OS cd that comes with it is a moddified XP that has all of there drivers built in and some extra Dell crap (advertisement). Stay Away.... far far away from those computers!

c_ro11 said:
Thats the problem with Dell, Compaq, ect that have computers build by them with their own parts! There almost impossible to upgrade as they usually dont accept parts that wernt made by them, Stay Away.... far far away from those computers!

Hey easy there. Let's not get rash with the generalizations.

In my Dell 4100 system that i bought a few years ago, I have upgraded the following with no problems.

- DVD-ROM
- CD burner
- new 200 GB HDD
- and added new RAM that I bought from Crucial.com.

And yes they all work fine and have been for the past 1 1/2 years.

Neither Dell or Compaq actually "makes" their own parts. They partner up with an outside vendor that assembles/manufacturs components for them and then they slap their sticker on it.

I know from talking with other techs that Comcrap was notorious for using propriety parts in the past - particularly the RAM. I do not know if that is still true considering it is now owned by HP.

Just based on the fact the these companies use proprietary parts, I would not make a blanket statement to tell someone not to buy Dell. In fact, Dells have a high reputation for making excellent laptaps and PCs. (Their customer service/tech support is another story however). If you are a home user that doesn't know much about PCs and don't care to build one, then Dell is absolutely fine - there's nothing wrong with it.

ryan711 said:
My brothers laptop came with windows xp. I think it is the full version. Anyway i am buildind a new comp and i want to save a 100 bucks and use his cd, but it is not a normal xp d it says only for use with dell, and it is a mauve(redish) color. if this help we just reformatted his hdd and no dell add programs are on there or any of the stuff that came on it when we got it.

Ryan, XP requires activation (both Home and Pro versions). It means you can only use that CD to install it only on 1 PC. Also what you are proposing to do is ILLEGAL. Regardless of whether you purchase a coyp of XP at the store, or Dell ships it to you along w/ your new PC, you are still entitled to a license to install it only on 1 PC - ya get the picture yet?

Hey ryan, how many fingers am i holding up? I'll give you a hint...

**just one ** :D :D :D

Hey ryan711,

There is another discussion on another forum about this.
It seems that the Dell Cd's do a BIOS check with the computer
that you are trying to install it on. It doesn't look for hardware
configuration it looks for a signature from what they say and
it will not install on another non-dell PC.

The others have said it is illegal and when you try to activate
the OS it will probably shot back an invalid Product Key error.

Actually the legalities of it are that you can have xp on two computers so long as one is laptop and one is pc the reason for this is simple. Because if you have xp on your laptop and and 98 or some older windows on your pc then you cannot read the files from your laptop therefore business men wouldn't be able to transfer their work from laptop to pc or vice versa. Anyway xp home also has product registration there is a crack however not sure how well it works all it does is reset the counter so that it seems like it's only been installed for a day. There are various ways around it but not many. One thing you could do in the old days was put the hard drive in the original comp and install then take it out and put in yours but the problem is xp sets itself up to run with only the motherboard it was installed on so if you do that it would not work on any other machine. Some businesses and schools have purchased so many registration keys for their workers/students if you have one of those discs you can use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom