Changing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hello, On a working PC can I change the DIMM sticks and still have PC work afterwards? Will I loose alot of files if I do this? Or is all the info stored on the hard drive? TomW

No, you won't lose any data when changing memory.
As long as your motherboard accepts the kind of Dimm you're inserting the PC should boot fine.

I agree with Didi. Getting the correct memory for your Motherboard (MoBo) is very important. You'll begin to experience stabilty issues if you do not.

I put a different harddrive in my old PC and sometimes when I reboot it won't find the hard drive, I have to go into setup and go through the settings again for primary side but end up back to same as it started with and it will find it. This last time I changed to user and manualy put in the numbers off the hard drive, could this be memory related or is it a driver problem? TomW

Hi, After doing some reading I was suprised to see how many different types of 168 pin memory there has been in the last few years. My book says PC100 3.3V Unbuffered SDRAM 15ns. It also is able to be setup for parity or ecc or disabled, the DRAM timing can also be changed [whatever that means] TomW

yes changing ur memory will not loose any data just u should know which memory stick ur mobo willsupport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom