Nvidia released DX10 workstation video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
Today nvidia released Quadro FX 4600 and Quadro FX 5600. Both are based on G80.

FX 5600 has 1.5GB of GDDR3 memory and FX 4600 has 768MB of memory

Almost four months have passed since Nvidia released its GeForce 8800-series graphics cards. Before finishing up its DirectX 10 desktop lineup with some mainstream derivatives, Nvidia has stopped over by the workstation sector and introduced a pair of G80-based Quadro FX graphics cards. The two cards are dubbed Quadro FX 5600 and Quadro FX 4600, and they look more or less identical to their desktop GeForce 8800-series counterparts. However, beneath the Quadro FX 5600's cooler lies a whopping 1.5GB of GDDR3 memory, which is twice as much as what the GeForce 8800 GTX has to offer. The Quadro FX 5600 also outdoes the GeForce on peak fill rate with 19.2Gtexels/s instead of 18.4Gtexels/s, although peak memory bandwidth is a little lower (76.8GB/s, compared to 86.4GB/s for the 8800 GTX.)

As for the Quadro FX 4600, its fill rate is the same as that of the GeForce 8800 GTS (12Gtexels/s), but memory bandwidth is also a little lower (57.6GB/s instead of 64GB/s). That said, the Quadro FX 4600 packs 768MB of memory and a full 384-bit memory bus, just like the desktop GeForce 8800 GTX. Nvidia says the Quadro FX 4600 will retail for $1,995, while the Quadro FX 5600 will go for just one dollar shy of three grand.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11968
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_fx_5600_4600.html

quadro_fx_5600.jpg

Quadro FX eh? I understand Quadro is used for businesses in graphics, am i correct?

sounds interesting..........to bad i cant use it for gaming lol.

Yeah, those are rendering and 3d design cards. Not for gaming, but still cool none the less. Nvidia makes a cube type card that has 5 or 6 graphics cards in it that cost like $15,000 as well.

Jumping_Bean514 said:
Yeah, those are rendering and 3d design cards. Not for gaming, but still cool none the less. Nvidia makes a cube type card that has 5 or 6 graphics cards in it that cost like $15,000 as well.

really? Wow, then do i need one once i start learning out to use 3D Studio Max in the future?

Reason im asking is because i was planning on getting the X2900 XTX, but i dont want to have to buy Quadro FX card just to use 3D Studio Max, that would be ridiculous! I'm planning on transfering to Cal State LA to get a gaming degree in animation; i still got 2 years ahead of me to meet the requirements to transfer from RCC to get there too.

EDIT:

i got help on engadget.com about the Quadro FX deal with using 3D software like 3D Studio Max n Maya.

i know how differ they r now so im good.

Wildside said:
really? Wow, then do i need one once i start learning out to use 3D Studio Max in the future?

Reason im asking is because i was planning on getting the X2900 XTX, but i dont want to have to buy Quadro FX card just to use 3D Studio Max, that would be ridiculous! I'm planning on transfering to Cal State LA to get a gaming degree in animation; i still got 2 years ahead of me to meet the requirements to transfer from RCC to get there too.

EDIT:

i got help on engadget.com about the Quadro FX deal with using 3D software like 3D Studio Max n Maya.

I've used the 3d modeling program at my school, autodesk inventor, with no problems, and they're running on like x600 se's. I think you should be ok with a gaming card, and if you can get a design card you'll be well off, no need for super high end cards unless your designing a full scale 3d version of a sky scraper or something.

Wildside said:

EDIT:

In a build for my friend:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=139191&highlight=friends
(3ds max 8 on the screen)

who is a 3d designer I put a 8800gtx in it and its very fast. He uses mud box, 3dsmax, and zbrush with no problems and high frame rates. Quadros are most needed for HUGE 3d files and rendering movies. for a novice 3d designer a 7900 should do you just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom