How much thermal grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal99c

Solid State Member
I'm having trouble with a new build computer. While looking for what the symptom is, just curious how much thermal grease is appropriate when applying to CPU?

Where the **** you guys gettings this crap info?

Dime? Line?

Laff

In the Center, ONE Dot, NO BIGGER THAN a Cooked piece of white Rice. The action of you putting the heatsink down and clamping it, will do all the spreading required. This is the best way to do it and has always been...

Ste said:

Dime? Line?

Laff

In the Center, ONE Dot, NO BIGGER THAN a Cooked piece of white Rice. The action of you putting the heatsink down and clamping it, will do all the spreading required. This is the best way to do it and has always been...

lol I was thinking the exact same thing...you put a drop the size of rice then gently press down and slightly twist the hsf to spread it out a bit.

If your putting it on a video card or the nb you spread a very thin layer with your finger (probably best to wear a glove or something)

Ste said:

Dime? Line?

Laff

Indeed.

You could do like 10 CPU's with the size of a dime.

agreed, i just put a bb size dab on and make sure the hs goes not level. if i have a plastic straight edge, i'll butter the small bb out across the cpu just incase the hs doesnt go on perfectly flat. but yeah, ppl r making it up as they go along

I was thinking the same thing. I put a small blob in the center and spread it thin and even with an match book cover or some other thin cardboard. But It sure is a pain in the but the size of the new chips. I'm going through Arctic Silver like Preparation H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom