Buying a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolly_Elf

Solid State Member
A couple of questions. I havent been able to make the best out of all my research and im not all that into hardware info(until now). Im getting a laptop.

What is the difference between a 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1800 video card and a ATI X1800XT, besides that one is for laptops?

Are intel core2 duo processors the best dual core processors out there? If not what else is equivilent or better?

Im getting the new laptop for college, and I figured why not get one I can play top end games with. When the anticipated game, Crysis, was brought to my attention I really got pumped. The recomendations for that game are as follows...
CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
RAM: 1.5Gb
Optical Drive: DVD

Im looking to get a laptop that meets that criteria or better if possible. If you have any recomendations please let me know. Thankyou.

Jolly, the Intel Core 2 Duo processors are the best model on the market right now. They generate less heat and consume less power than their AMD counterparts, and this is a double bonus in a notebood computer.

As far as a laptop that will play top end games when they come out, will likely be using the NVIDIA 8xxx series GPU's. ATI DX10 cards have not yet hit the market, and not sure if the mobile solutions are slated for release at the same time. I am not even sure if there are NVIDIA 8xxx series GPU's available in laptops yet.. If you DO find one, sit down before looking at the price tag, and you are going to be paying a LOT of money. Also, battery life will likelwy be almost non-existant.

would a 256MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1900 be good for what I want? i really no nothing about video cards. The other things i can handle, but this is really why im using the forum.

Well, yes, that mobility X1900 should be a good card....

HOWEVER - there are NO laptops available right now (unless you Spend $$$$$ to get one that uses a desktop GPU), there are NO DX10 laptops out right now... (I checked a few sites, including Falcon NW & Dell, and some others, none have DX10 mobile cards...)

will that be equivilent to or better than the card in the recomendations, or is that what you are saying is going to cost a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom