Confusing sound card issue - PLEASE HELP!! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyg420

Solid State Member
Can anyone suggest what I might do to resolve this situation?? I recently formatted my hard drive to recover from a virus issue. Once I've reinstalled windows and reinstalled my drivers, I can't get my sound card to properly read right. All the drivers are installed, but my computer still does not recognize it. When I try to run any applications that require a sound card, it tells me that there is no sound card present on my system. Any time that I go in to my device manager, all of my sound card properties all read that the device is functioning properly. Any suggestions on what I might try to resolve this issue? All the remaining problems that I have with my system all hinge on having a functional sound card. I've tried installing and uninstalling all of my drivers, changing the PCI slot that my sound card is physically plugged into and even buying a new sound card and installing drivers for that which also results in the identical resolution. I have a Hercules Game Theater XP as my primary card, and I just bought a Dynex 5.1 sound card as well. There should be a picture below of the problem issues as they are identified on my computer. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• issue.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 24
Ok two questions Do you have on board Sound?
And did you install your motherboard drivers after you reinstalled everything? It would help if you posted your system specs.

i DO have onboard sound, although i haven't tried to use it. I tried reinstalling my motherboard drivers, but admittedly didn't try to reinstall them until after I started having the sound card issues. I don't know if it would make a difference for me to re-format my hard drive and install the motherboard drivers first before anything else.

I'm running a Syntax Motherboard with an AMD Athlon 2400+ and a GIG of ram. My video card is an ATI A-I-W 9700 Pro which won't fully work until i have either my hercules game theater or dynex 5.1 sound cards working.

Perhaps your bios was reset without your knowledge and now onboard is turned on again. Check out the bios and make sure its off.

if the onboard sound card was turned on in the bios, wouldn't it show up on my volume control panel still? or also in my device manager? i can't check the volume on the speakers because i have no volume control on my computer.

Attachments

• volume control.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 15
I don't know if this will help, but i've never seen this kind of error before either. driver enabled but not started. I feel like I'm two clicks away from having this all working correctly if I could just find the two clicks. Thank again for everyone's input.

Attachments

• wdm controller.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 14
The onboard sound could be enabled but if you dont have the drivers installed it wont work usually. And if it is enabled it could mess with your sound card. I take it that is your onboard sound. Go into your Bios and see if its disabled.

We're definitely on to something here. I went into the bios and into the integrated peripherals and turned off my onboard sound. Then I took out my sound card and unistalled the drivers and then put the sound card back in and installed the drivers. But I still get the same "No Audio Device" message on my volume mixer and still get the "This device is enabled but not started" message on the properties.

just for clarification, the Envy 24 is the driver for the Dynex 5.1 card.

Attachments

• device mgr.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom