.avi Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc1212

Baseband Member
I'm not exactly sure if this is where to post this but...

I found a movie clip on the internet and its in .avi format. I can't run it because I do not have the right program to run it. So i have a few questions:
What program will run a .avi format?
Where can I get a program that will run a .avi format?
Is it free?
and is there any way to convert the .avi format into something else, like .mpeg?

Please help, thanks

(note: I have Windows XP Home Edition)
(note2: I am not a very tech smart person...)

VLC is pretty good. However, if you do not wish to switch media programs, the best choice would to download a codec pack. There are all sorts of different packs out there that contain various things.

I use the K-lite codec pack Give it a shot if you want, or try one of the many other collections of codecs out there. Google knows where they are.

If you are using Windows, you already have a program to play avi's. Windows Media Player plays them. The problem is, just like Lorithad said, you don't have the right codec. The problem with codecs is that you have to have the particular codec that the creator of the video used in order to watch it. Usually, you should be able to play them without problem, but evidentally, this video was encoded with a rare codec. Lorithad's suggestion of K-lite codec pack is good because it is a pack with many codecs which will save you from having to figure out which one this particular video uses.

Easy Peasy

Dont both with VLC it sucks. Stick with WMP and download the K lite codec pack free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom