Video driver problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moisiss

In Runtime
Hey all,

Something weird has been happening with my video driver...

Every now and then (like once every couple of days) I'll be doing whatever on my computer (like surfing the web) and all of the sudden my screen goes black. Sometimes it comes back on and sometimes I have to restart my comp. Either way, when the screen comes back up, all of the sudden the screen "redraw" is all super slow.... like if I scroll down on a web page, the whole thing flashes and has to redraw... like it does when I have no driver running. The resolution is still the same (1440X900, unlike when I run it with no driver)... just really slow refresh rates.

I have deleted the driver and re-installed a new one a few times. This works for a few days and then out of nowhere it happens all over again. I have cleaned the registry using ccleaner. Last night it happened so instead of redoing the driver, I switched from DVI to VGA and that fixed it... until today when I turned on the computer.... the same thing happened. This started about a week and a half ago... and I don't know what to do besides format it all and do a clean install of everything.

Anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing this?

My comp. specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754)
WD 80Gb 7,200 rpm Hard Drive
512 MB Ram
Radeon 9600
19" Hanns-G widescreen monitor (HW191)
430 Watt PSU

When you say you have DELETED the driver, do you mean you literally found the driver file and deleted, it, or did you UNINSTALL the drivers then re-install?

Could be that you are using incorrect drivers for that card. Get the most recent (probably pretty old with a 9600) drivers, not sure if the Cat 7.1 or 7.2 is compatible with that card.

oh sorry,

I uninstalled the drivers and re-installed...

The driver version I have is 7.2... I downloaded it from the ATI site... and the site directed me to that driver for the 9600.

Do you have another monitor? I know it is a long shot but would just like to eliminate that possibility. If you don't, then what i would do is unplug the card, clean it and plug it again.

It is just kind of weired to work fine for few days and then not. Please let us know how it goes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom