Random Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom118

Daemon Poster
I just recently finished putting together my computer, I upgraded to a P5P motherboard, a evga 8800gts 640 and added another GB of ddr2. I noticed however, If i launch power cinema and watch tv, and leave it the computer will eventually restart itself. It takes about 10 mins then I hear the windows shutdown sound than the computer reboots. For no reason. Anyone know whats on the go?

Could it be a heat issue? Tell us what your CPU temperature is.

Also, whats your power-supply, as that card requires a hefty amount of juice. This however would cause instability, etc more than Windows shutting down (correctly)

i think it is a heat issue. right now I am running Internet exploror and power cinema and the temp is 58-60 degrees. I checked yesterday to ensure i had the fan installed correctly and everything was fine.

Oh and the powersupply is 500Watts

Yarse, those temps sound far too high when you're essentially 'idle'. I suggest you buy a new CPU cooler (Zalman are the 'main boyz' when it comes to these) for around £15 - £20 ($30 - $40), along with some Arctic Silver thermal paste.

Install the new cooler and your temps should drop, so long as your case is reasonably well ventilated. If you want to further increase cooling power add some case fans (making sure that they are blowing in the right direction! Cool air sucking IN the front, warm air blowing OUT the back)

That 500W powersupply should just about cut it for your rig, so I dont believe thats an issue. As long as is from a reputable manufacturer that is.

I was looking into getting the ZALMAN CNPS9500 and some AS5 tommrow when the computer store up the road opens. I already have 4 120 mm case fans 2 blowing air in from the front.. one blowing it out the back and the other blowing it out the top. Plus the stardard intel fan and heat sync, and an 80mm fan in ventlation duct on the side.

Jesus, you should be pretty much set then. I cant understand why the CPU temperature would be so high, we are talking about Celsius here are we not?

yep Celsisus.. right now its idleing at 49 degrees C... it must be the thermal putty... its the original stuff that comes with the stock intel cooler. funny its at 50C and the room temp is only 10 degree's thats a hot cpu

Do you still face these random restarts? If so you might have faulty RAM or less likely defective motherboard. Try testing your system with Memtest86+. I gave you the download link to make it easier. If you need help using the program then here is a decent guide .

No my computer dosent randomly restart if I leave it idleing, browse the web, chat on msn, listen to music, or play games. For some reason it only happens if im running Power Cinema and nothing else.

For example Yesterday moring I started up my computer and opened Power Cinema and went back to bed and just listened to the TV, about 10-15 mins later i herd the windows shut down sound and looked over to see my computer restart. This has happened more than once.

I can however run power cinema all day, As long as im using the computer it wont restart. Could it have something to do with the power options??? for instance AI nap is trying to activate but it ends up restarting???

sounds like a dodgy bit of software to me, look into any available updates.

As its clear that Windows is 'fully shutting down' (hence the Windows sound), and not just crashing out. Trundle through the Control Panel, and PowerCinema to try and find the culprit. Power saving options and such like may be the prime suspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom