Help on choosing a mb+cpu combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good... Here is one of my posts yesterday in a similar thread, for basically the SAME components... Note that Newegg doesn't ship outside the US right now, but it has all the model numbers, and give an idea of what prices SHOULD be... (I didn't edit that post, just coppied it directly).....

This would be PERFECT for what you want to do.... (yeah, it isn't Intel, but there is NO NEED to go intel, besides spending more money).

PC CHIPS M789CG - $55 - Mobo with integrated 2.0 Ghz CPU, onboard GPU, LAN & Sound... plus 2 PCI slots....
G.SKILL 512MB DDR400 - $35 - I know you don't want RAM, but this board uses DDR, not DDR2, not sure which type you have...
APEX TX-380 Micro ATX with 300W PSU - $40

Thats $130 before shipping... $95 if you truely don't need the RAM.

Also, Newegg has a major warehouse in NJ, so shipping to you in NY would likely take a day or two if thats where is is shipped out of. MOST of my parts come from there to Chicago in 3 days or less, sometimes from Kentucky.

Thanks for your reply Ethereal. But I am in Canada and can't buy from newegg. This store is in my town.

I saw that you were in canada... it was, as stated, posted for reference... The only site other than the one you posted that ships to canada is TigerDirect, but their website doesn't list the PC Chips Mobo & CPU combo....

I know that the store is in your town, but those prices seem pretty steep for a motherboard ALONE, with no CPU... and for what this PC's purpose is, an integrated solution will be more than sufficient for internet usage and document authoring...

After some searching on the model number, here is a link for a company that carriers it.. Their webpage says it "serves customers around the world" also....

PC Chips M789CG - $57.43
Kingston 256MB DDR433 - $18.55 - Might want to use 2 and go with 512MB of RAM, depending on the OS that you will be using.
80GB IDE Seagate Barracuda - $39.35

That site looks to have just about everything you would need, and prices seem pretty good. Note that the motherboard is FLEX ATX... I am not sure if ATX mobo trays have fittings for this, or if you would have to get a special case. The one linked in my other post is a mini tower I believe.

iamchel said:
so how do you delete posts around here? Well I guess I can add something...check out www.canadacomputers.com they ship for 5 bucks flat across Canada.
What post needs to be deleted?

well I was going to delete that one but then I ended up giving that link for the store so none now...can users not delete their own posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom