Critique my new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAG

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'm about to order this:

INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E6600 Dual-Core, 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65nm, 65W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
SERVICE, Do Not Overclock
ASUS, P5N32-E SLI Plus, LGA775, nForce 650i SLI, 1333MHz FSB, DDR2-800 8GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI /3, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 1/5, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW, ATX, Retail
CORSAIR, 2GB (2 x 1GB) XMS2 PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL5 (5-5-5-12) SDRAM 240-pin DIMM, Non-ECC
eVGA, e-GeForce 7950GT KO Superclocked 600MHz, 512MB DDR3 1450MHz, PCIe x16, 2x DVI, HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out, Retail
WESTERN DIGITAL, 150GB WD Raptor®, SATA 150MB/s, 10000 RPM, 16MB cache
WESTERN DIGITAL, 500GB WD Caviar® SE16, SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB cache
RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
MITSUMI, Black Internal 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
LITE-ON, LH-20A1H Black/White 20x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ LightScribe, EIDE/ATAPI, Retail
LIAN LI, V Cool PC-V1000BplusII W Black Mid-Tower Case w/ Window, ATX, No PSU, Aluminum
SEASONIC, M12 SS-700HM Power Supply, 700W, 24-pin ATX EPS12V, Dual +12V, SLI Certified
CUSTOM WIRING, Standard Wiring
MICROSOFT, Windows XP Professional Edition SP2b w/ Free Upgrade Coupon for Vista, OEM
GAMING PC, Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)
SERVICE, Standard Shipping (UPS, DHL, or Fedex)

for $2328 + shipping

What would you change, if anything? I know this motherboard supports 1333 mhz FSB and can accept core 2 quad processors, so I am planning to upgrade that much later this year or next year to whatever next generation of quad core when/if bus speeds are 1333 mhz. And I'm going with the 7950 GT with plans to upgrade next year. I didn't add any CPU cooler beyond stock cooling, wasn't sure how neccessary that'd be with this setup? I am not really a hardcore gamer, but I am looking forward to Command and Conquer 3. Also, I don't plan to overclock, so I didn't think I'd need RAM with better timings- without overclocking, there wouldn't really be a noticeable performance increase with something like 4-4-4-12 RAM, would there?

This is a premade computer isnt it? If it was a piece by piece build I would suggest so many different things but since it's a prebuild I guess it's decent enough. Still it just seems like soooo much for what you are getting. For 2382 I could fit an 8800GTX in there easy and stuff. It's amazing how much cheaper and better it is when you build your own.

It's from http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=7022 sort of like what monarch was before they bit the dust. You can pick from a long list of components for each thing.

Not interested in building it myself, I just want something that works and performs how I want it to, and that price even with shipping is still within my budget.

What would you suggest I change though?

I really am not interested in building my own, or arguing it :) Thanks.

Just looking for advice here on part selection.

Thats just really expensive for what your getting...2300 and only a 7950GT???? I can fit an 8800GTX in a build around 1800 easily...I'd say look elsewhere.

That whole build...was it put together by your selection or already picked out? 700w is overkill usually for SLI 8800GTX..let alone a single 7950GT. Also for that mmuch money you would expect a really good 680i or 975 mobo but the one selected is only around 135...I don't see how that costs so much. Is that like CAD or something?

I've decided where to buy it, they have awesome resellerratings.com stats, and the money is not really an issue.
It will be a tax deduction, and I don't want to have to hassle with putting it together myself and hoping it works.

Besides the graphics card, what else would you change? Like I said, I am not a hardcore gamer. I play a few games a year, Command and Conquer 3 will be one of them.

To respond to your edit...no, I picked those parts myself. I just wanted some guidance if you think there is something else you'd change.

I went with 700W so I have some room for upgrading in the future, to quad cores and possibly an 8800 series GPU or R600.

Ok but you can build it from places like cyberpowerpc.com where you pick out the parts and they put it together is what I meant. I'm sorry that's just really sick to see those parts put together for around 800 more than they should be. It's not a bad build but expensive.

Aside from the card as that's not really the fastest out there, I would change to G.Skill ram as the XMS2 line of memory is really disappointing. The Mobo is a very good motherboard and overclocks well, awesome.

The case is good but I prefer a case like the Antec Nine Hundred which looks sick and performs excellent also. That case is well build but I think overpriced and is really plain....

EDIT: Also raptors aren't worth the performance. Just get two of the seagate 7200.10 and you will see very similar performance for around 200 cheaper.

In respond to your post I guess 700w is nice but a seasonic 700w is so expensive also...I just see a lot of wasted money man sorry I recommend builds on here to people looking to get the best bang for their buck and here you are telling me money isn't a problem. This may be true your right but I can just make things so much more powerful for that same price it pains me lol. It's tough for me to do this heh.

Specifically, do the timings on the RAM matter if I don't plan to overclock (will I notice any diff between 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-12), and do I need to upgrade from the stock cooling to something like a Scythe Mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom