Best place to buy a Gaming rig with 1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's his wishlist:
  • COOLER MASTER Centurion
  • ASUS P5N-E SLI
  • EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
  • FSP Group 450W Power Supply
  • G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
  • SABRENT 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
  • Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
  • Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor
  • LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner included extra White bezel, with 12X DVD-RAM Write
  • Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
  • AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler
At the time I checked, there was only one graphics card - the eVGA 8800GTS; however, there is no processor listed!

Rodex123: Here are my observations / suggestions.

1) Naturally, the first observation is that you have no processor! I think we had initially envisaged an E6600 (it's at $313 right now). If you wanna go cheaper, get an E6300 ($183).

2) I'm not sure I'd get that PCI case cooler. A couple months ago I bought a generic PCI case cooler, and I installed it just below my video card; the GPU temperature went up by around 10°C! This happened because the PCI cooler was preventing a good airflow around the video card, instead of helping it. Get it if you want to, but run a couple tests to make sure it's doing good to your temps.

3) About the RAM, I think you're selecting the wrong part. The RAM on your wishlist is a $199 CL4 kit; you can get a CL5 kit for a lot less: G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL5. The difference (performance-wise) is negligible; a lower latency is only good for overclocking purposes.

Ill take that suggestion about the case cooler into mind, thanks!

Anyways about the wishlist, newegg is being screwy

I put the e6600 on there
and a 8800 gts 648mb

That Ram sounds like a good suggestion, thanks!

The ram that I suggested is excellent ram and yea overkill really, I only wanted to suggest parts similar in price and I believe your ram originally was like 203. The thing is That ram is still good but this ram is known to kick *** hard. Me and evergreen both have it and we can get 4-4-3-9 at DDR2-860 haha.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231084

I don't know how good the red series is since it's the cheapest model they have, I'm sure it's still awesome but I just know the power of that ram and it's AMAZING.

Next I'm just curious what size monitor are you going with? The 8800GTS's 640 memory only makes a difference on larger monitors 22inch+.

Well, the RAM you suggest is very similar spec-wise to the red series kit. In fact, the only difference I could spot in the Newegg product specs is the fact that the red DIMMs have a lower minimum voltage requirement (1.8V; compared to 1.9V for the green DIMMs). The rest seems to be the same. Rodex123, it's up to you; it's a $15 gap and no appreciable performance difference.

He did include a monitor by the way, a Hanns.G 19" WD with a native resolution of 1440 x 900. I think it's good enough. Even with an 8800, games like Oblivion won't run at high fps at high resolutions (with max quality settings).

Rodex123, I am glad you decided to build it yourself.

These guys on the forum talked me into building, and I am so glad they did.

I learned a heck of alot by building myself and also saved some cash.

That system you are getting is going to be a great build, regardless of the ram you choose, which i believe are both good.

Have fun building and enjoy your rig.

As far as specs go yea, not much different. usually though the more expensive in a series. it gets better and faster. I haven't heard of anyone taking the red to DDR2-1000 is all. It may be able to but no one has told me they have like I have heard and seen in my computer with the green model.

Perhaps, Sora, but he's a first time builder, I don't think he's considering overclocking just yet.

Rodex123 said:
FPS can depend on your monitor????
Let me explain, I admit it was a bit unclear.

The monitor doesn't determine your FPS directly. The thing is that LCD monitors have a fixed "native" resolution. Chose any other resolution, and image quality will be lowered. This forces you to play games at that resolution (if you want to keep a sharp image quality). So, for example, if you pair a very high-resolution LCD monitor with, say, a 7600GT, you'll be getting low framerates most of the time. The resolution is just too much for the video card, and the monitor almost forces you to keep it.

The monitor you selected is native at 1440 x 900. This means you'll be playing games at that resolution. With an 8800, you'll have no problem running virtually every game with high quality settings (at that resolution).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom