Just upgraded rig, problems, questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xorret

Beta member
I just upgraded my Power Supply, Video Card, and RAM. Here is what i'm looking at now:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz Processor
ATI RADEON x1650 pro 512mb AGPx8
1.5GB DDR RAM
160GB HD
..and a stock HP mobo. (dont feel like looking up the specifics)

Here's the problem, I mainly upgraded my computer to play games. But i'm getting some problems, when playing CS:S (the only game that i've tried so far), my FPS goes from 120 all the time to around the 50's after around 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure that i'm installing the drivers correctly, because my system information is telling me my drivers are at version 6.14 and the current is 7.2, but everytime I try to install the drivers it tells me to restart and there will be a video test when it loads my desktop, but that never happens.

Also, in the Catalyst Control Center it tells me that my Current Bus Setting is "AGP Off", i'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound like it's helping this problem.

Would the number of processes my computer is running have anything to do with this? Because i'm running quite a few.

Any help is appreciated, can ask more questions you'll just have to run me through certain things since i'm computer savvy but not a computer expert.

Xorret said:

Would the number of processes my computer is running have anything to do with this? Because i'm running quite a few.

Yes. And in your bios, make sure the AGP transfer rate is set to 8x.

Hmm okay, I'm gonna have to reformat, think I have some spyware.

:\

I'll check the BIOS.

well i just reformatted last night and i'm reinstalling css now, if this doesn't work.. i'm not sure what it is.

I believe I found the problem to this, but I don't know for sure because now my Counter-Strike: Source gets an error when I try to launch it.

My AGP Setting was being forced to 0x even when I changed it through either the BIOS or through Smartgart, so I had to download some drivers to allow me to change it, and that worked. But now i'm getting this other error.

One after another, I hate my luck.

Well I think I would get it reset the way you want it and try another game to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom