New comp first boot failed - burned CPU?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're only supposed to have enough thermal paste to help the two surfaces achieve full contact. Basically, smooth the imperfect surfaces so they fit better. If you put too much, the heat can't transfer as well.

Sorry for the double post....

Anyways, good news good news... the CPU was not fried... *phew*... it turned out to be the least I expected.... the RAM...

Apparently, I didn't put one of the RAM sticks in right, and when I took off the RAM, I saw the burn mark on the slot and the chip...

My CPU is fine, but it's running a little hot at 36 degrees C on idle. I'm running the comp now and everything seems to be ok except the fact that I don't have sound... I'm surprised and extremely happy that my board still works, luckily, there're multiple RAM slots and I was able to use my good RAM stick on one of them. Things could be a lot worse, I'm glad that it was a $100 dollar ram stick I trashed and not the CPU.

I'm using the E6600's OEM sink.... does anyone here on this forum ever use it? Why did they make it so difficult to put on? I was afraid to press down on it because I was bending my MB.... IMO the sink snap on design really needs some improvements...

Btw, almost forgot to mention, although I'm short 1GB RAM, this new system is really nice! Super fast and smooth. I'm going to have to wait awhile and save up for another stick later on........

Also one last quick question on the side, I installed the sound drivers that came with the Gigabyte board, but I'm not getting sound. I noticed the drivers were compatible with Windows XP SP1, and I have SP2, is that the problem??

gald to hear that your system is back working... I haven't used DDR2 memory yet, but I know that with DDR memory, you can really only install it ONE way, otherwise, the notch PHYSICALLY prohibits it from being seated in the RAM slot. If thats the case with DDR2, how the heck did you get it in with the ram clips on?

As far as the sound issues, having SP2 shoulddn't be a problem. Try downloading the newest drivers from the Gigabyte website. Also, make sure that you are plugged into the CORRECT port.... usually the speakers/headphones go into the GREEN one.. lol.

Yea, I know, but the RAM seemed to go in fine and the clips snapped.

I have NO idea how I messed that up, RAM installation is comparably simpler than the other steps so I guess I underestimated and resulted in carelessness.

Yes I do have the speakers plugged into the green port... heh.... but I'm still not getting sound.

In fact, there isn't even a volume control icon on the lower-right hand corner of the screen like usual...
If I can't get it to work, then I'm going to have to go buy a sound card, and I really don't want to have to resort to that step.

Go into the device manager, and see if there is anything there that has a little excalmation point in a yellow sign.... could be that the drivers weren't the correct ones, or didn't install correctly....

im using the E6600 stock cooler, yes, it was the biggest pain to put on, but i hadnt mounted my mobo to the case yet so i guess it was easier.

You need to install your motherboard drivers. Then your sound should work. Also its easer to install the CPU and heat sync with the motherboard out of the box.

If you still can't get it to work, drive to some retail store and buy a cheap SB Audigy for $30. ****, even a SB Live!.:D

I got the sound working. I don't know what the exact problem was but I re-installed the English version of XP and the installed the drivers that came with the board and it worked like a charm.....

Prior to, I had a different version of XP installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom