advice on building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsinaname

Solid State Member
so i've picked out the parts that i want for building a comp, and would like some advice

processor: core 2 duo e6400 conroe 2.13 GHz ($221)

memory: corsair 2GB (2x1GB) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM ($163)

gfx card: EVGA geforce 8800 GTS 640 MB ($360 after rebate)

mobo: ASUS P5B-E LGA 775 P965 ATX intel mobo ($151)

tower: lian li aluminum ATX case ($110)

power supply: thermaltake W0106RU 700W ($145 after rebate)

monitor: Hanns-G 19" widescreen ($180)

the links can be found on a wish list on newegg here

i was advised by a friend to take that particular power supply because i plan on overclocking my processor, and the gfx card is a beast in terms of wattage. if anyone can help me save a few $ here or there, that would be rather helpful.

Your wishlist isn't public, not able to see it.

Looks like it will be a decent build. You don't have a hard drive or optical drive listed, or keyboard & mouse.

and just as a sidenote i have CD drives and sound card that i am salvaging from my old computer. and just for the record this computer is for gaming.

i was advised to get a big power suppply (and specifically that one) by a friend because i plan on overclocking, and the gfx card is a beast in terms of power.

whatsinaname said:
i was advised to get a big power suppply (and specifically that one) by a friend because i plan on overclocking, and the gfx card is a beast in terms of power.

Don't worry, you won't even use 500 Watts with that Build.

Stick to this list of brands if you dislike the enermax.
PC power and Cooling
Etasis
Zippy
Corsair
Seasonic
Silverstone
Fortron
OCZ
Antec
Enermax
Tagan
HIper (Type R)

Highly reccomend the Corsair HX620.

so a thumbs up on the build? at least except for the power supply.

after looking on newegg, the corsair one you proposed, and the one i chose have no difference in price.

Good luck with your build...

Psst... I recommend Seagate over Western Digital on hard drives... can't beat a 5 year warrenty. Seagate is #1 in industry for a reason.... I have YET to have a Seagate drive fail on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom