Page file in Vista, should it be on a separate drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazz2323

Solid State Member
I was wondering for optimal performance, should I change the page file in Vista to be on a separate hard drive? I have two 10k RPM SATA raptors in Raid 0 of which windows is installed on and an extra plain 40 gig IDE hard drive connected to my system. Would it be better for performance if I moved the page file to the IDE drive? If so, how exactly do I do it?

I wouldnt only for the fact that the IDE drive are way slower than the SATA drive.

the speed difference of those hdd wouldn't affect the page file. a page file will move faster if it is on a non OS drive, because it will be out of the way of other activity

But wouldn't the speed of the drive effect how quickly the info on the page file is accessed? Which would slow it down on a slower drive? Would that counter act the high speed of the sata drive if I kept the page file on it? The SATA is 10k rpms as well.

How exactly do you change the page file in Vista btw?

crazz2323 said:
But wouldn't the speed of the drive effect how quickly the info on the page file is accessed? Which would slow it down on a slower drive? Would that counter act the high speed of the sata drive if I kept the page file on it? The SATA is 10k rpms as well.

How exactly do you change the page file in Vista btw?

same as xp.

what you fail to realize is, vista and xp are doing a thousand things at once. putting the page file somewhere else (like another hard drive that's only being accessed once in awhile) is always beneficial. if you put it in it's own partition at the beginning of that drive, it will access it, even faster

btw despite what people think, a 10,000 rpm drive isn't that much faster than a 7200 one. if you want speed get a faster processor and more ram. I had a server with 6 15,000 rpm scsi hdds in raid 5. it read and write speed was tremendous, but in the real world it's not that noticeable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom