Graphics Card DVI female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDGreen92086

In Runtime
I got a vf900 for my 6800 gt recently and installed it. I put the card back in, and when I put the adapter for vga to dvi onto the card and then the monitor into the adapter, I have to position the adapter so the colors will display right. When it isn't in a certain position the colors range from green, to yellow, to red once I think. It's mostly going green. Sometimes it doesn't get a connection at all and my screen goes blank! I'm not sure if I may have been a little rough on the card or if a year of the heavy adapter + old monitor vga cord(it's thick and heavy plus the vga male is a huge chunk of plastic/whatever) has pulled the card downard and messed with it.

Wish I had more information, but this is a first for me, so if you have heard anything about this before or have any input please let me know.

The only thing I can think of is the adapter is bad or the weight of adapter+vga cord+vga male combined, may have bent some pins, but I didn't see any bent. I think I would rather buy a DVI-I cable for my computer than a whole card to rule out the adapter. You think?

I'll check in tonight around 6 after work.

Thank you for the time.

Your Monitor Cable has a short. I have a few like that myself. Or if this is a newer monitor it could be a bad connection inside the monitor.

I had my old Compaq MV450 monitor which I plugged in through VGA adapter, but I bought a new monitor after it started to run the gamut, so it's not the cable, it has to be either:
A. Graphics card
B. VGA to DVI adapter

There is a problem with option A. though; I tried plugging in the monitor+adaptor into the second DVI on my card and it does the same thing, which reinforces the notion of a bad adapter.

I'm going into the city tomorrow, so I'll buy a DVI cable and see if this solves the problem.

Question about DVI cables. My graphics card has 2 DVI-I Dual Link connectors, but my monitor has a DVI-D Dual Link Connector. So am I under the right assumption that I would need to buy a two head DVI-D Dual Link cable to connect my monitor and card? That is, if I can't find a cable that has DVI-I Dual Link to DVI-D Dual Link. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom