R600 spec finally released

Status
Not open for further replies.
isnt it strange how in the article is says the x2900xtx will be released first with 1GB ddr4 and later the x2900xt will be released with 512mb ddr3 memory... that seems backwards to me :/

the x2900xt is a lower end version
kinda the same way nvidia came out with the really good cards and later on come out with lower end ones

cwiz said:
isnt it strange how in the article is says the x2900xtx will be released first with 1GB ddr4 and later the x2900xt will be released with 512mb ddr3 memory... that seems backwards to me :/

I thought the same thing...

I don't think, however, that the X2900XT will be a low-end card. Based on current ATI naming schemes, it sounds like a high-end card.

But yeah, it's probably just a slightly under-powered XTX (ie: less and slower RAM) - I'm guessing DDR4 is expensive to make.

PS: that pic a few posts above is insane! I highly doubt the final cards will be that big.

ya the oem is 12 in and the retail is 9in i pretty sure just cant remember the site i found it at

003 said:
Dang! Pretty soon GPUs are going to need their own external enclosures! That would actually be very practical for very high end systems, because you could buy an external GPU enclosure with room for as many cards as you want, which would be sweet because the R600 supports unlimited clustering with powers of 2.

just to refresh ur mind on how much power the cards consume:

12" OEM consumes 270w

9.6" retail consumes 240w

there is also some other stuff that makes them a little bit differ from each other besides power consumption, i just dont remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom