RAM troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it should work automatically and since it doesn't, something is wrong, correct? Moving them might fix it, but there is still a problem right? Running memtest86+ right now, don't know if errors detected here will be relevant to the problem I'm having.

newer motherboards have specific RAM slots for single and dual channel. for eg my ASUS has 2 yellow slots for single and 2 black slots for dual or vise-versa , so now u know

It's not that they have "specific RAM slots for single and dual channel". A slot can't be dual channel by itself. It's the combination of two slots than can be dual channel, and many motherboards use color codings to state which pairs of slots will be run in dual channel.

In the case of your Asus motherboard, dual channel pairs are either the two yellow slots or the two black slots, ie: two memory sticks should be put in same-color slots if they are to run in dual channel mode.

Meithan said:
It's not that they have "specific RAM slots for single and dual channel". A slot can't be dual channel by itself. It's the combination of two slots than can be dual channel, and many motherboards use color codings to state which pairs of slots will be run in dual channel.

In the case of your Asus motherboard, dual channel pairs are either the two yellow slots or the two black slots, ie: two memory sticks should be put in same-color slots if they are to run in dual channel mode.

This is what is so embarrassing, I originally and eroneously place my dimms in A1 and A2, should have been in A1 and B1(the yellow slots) .

Thanks for the help!

Well I have to admit it's all very confusing. The PCB does have labels for each slot, but it's unclear whether "channels" are represented with letters or numbers.

Also, I was thinking that in principle it should be possible to run memory in dual channel if the modules are placed in A1 and B2 (or A2 and B1) - they're still on different channels, right? Has anyone tried this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom