Zero Condenstation refrigerator PC cooling real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically you have a cold plate, which is like an inclosed heat sink. a tube of warm/hot high pressure liquid refrigerant runs to the cpu, a nozzle releases the refigerant to low pressure making it turn into a low temp vapor when it hits the hot heatsink/coldplate. the gas is run thru a condenser that is basically like a radiator for a water cooling system. from that point it is recompressed by a pump becoming a warm high pressure liquid again. depending on the refrigerant and pressures, you will achieve different cooling temps.

this process is known as a phase change cooling system, specifically a vapor compression refrigeration system. it is exactly how ~95% of refrigerators and air conditioners work, the refrigerant is just released to low pressure in different ways for each application.

cwiz said:
basically you have a cold plate, which is like an inclosed heat sink. a tube of warm/hot high pressure liquid refrigerant runs to the cpu, a nozzle releases the refigerant to low pressure making it turn into a low temp vapor when it hits the hot heatsink/coldplate. the gas is run thru a condenser that is basically like a radiator for a water cooling system. from that point it is recompressed by a pump becoming a warm high pressure liquid again. depending on the refrigerant and pressures, you will achieve different cooling temps.

this process is known as a phase change cooling system, specifically a vapor compression refrigeration system. it is exactly how ~95% of refrigerators and air conditioners work, the refrigerant is just released to low pressure in different ways for each application.

The system is complex to say the least, but can installation be done by someone with experience only in putting together common computer hardware (heatsinks, cpus, GPUs, harddrives, etc)?

Furthermore, how much of a performance boost can one achieve out of this?

I remember seeing an insane video where liquid nitrogen was used to cool a slow cpu which was eventually over clocked like 10 times its max.

Since you guys are listing temperature in the negatives is it possible to double an already extremely fast CPU (Pentium 4 extreme edition for example)?

Thanks for all the knowledge, guys :)

u can get a core 2 cpu/mobo/ram for less than a decent phase change system. i'm not really sure how they get their cpu's to go that high... i think its more than just cooling and messing with the bios

u could probably install it if you've built a few computers. i've never done it, so dont take my word for it.

u need insulating gell to keep condensation from shorting the board.

have you looked into water cooling w/ TEC pads? they are really effective
http://www.petrastechshop.com/tecmop.html

u gotta have a good w/c loop to use these though.
it goes cpu\thermalpaste\coldplate\TEC(Peltier)\wc block w pump and radiator.

u can put one on your cpu (200W+), one on the northbridge (prob 80W), one on the gpu (200W+) and get some w/c sleeves for your ram and HDD's. all for (probably) less than a phase change for you cpu

cwiz said:
have you looked into water cooling w/ TEC pads? they are really effective
http://www.petrastechshop.com/tecmop.html

u gotta have a good w/c loop to use these though.
it goes cpu\thermalpaste\coldplate\TEC(Peltier)\wc block w pump and radiator.

u can put one on your cpu (200W+), one on the northbridge (prob 80W), one on the gpu (200W+) and get some w/c sleeves for your ram and HDD's. all for (probably) less than a phase change for you cpu

decent TEC cooling also needs the mobo to be covered in some form of insulation, to stop the air getting to it. idle temps with decent TECs are often sub-zero, so condensation becomes an issue. you also need a PSU with a good 50A on the 12v rail to power the more powerful TECs. these cost alot...

i wouldnt bother with phase change unless OCing is a major hobby of yours. it isnt really any good for 24/7 useage, because the power consumption is also very high, they are loud, and if the insulation on the mobo somehow breaks without you noticing, bye bye motherboard. ambient air hitting a surface at a good -50*C means mucho condensation...

joshd said:
decent TEC cooling also needs the mobo to be covered in some form of insulation, to stop the air getting to it. idle temps with decent TECs are often sub-zero, so condensation becomes an issue. you also need a PSU with a good 50A on the 12v rail to power the more powerful TECs. these cost alot...

i wouldnt bother with phase change unless OCing is a major hobby of yours. it isnt really any good for 24/7 useage, because the power consumption is also very high, they are loud, and if the insulation on the mobo somehow breaks without you noticing, bye bye motherboard. ambient air hitting a surface at a good -50*C means mucho condensation...

So your saying that unless I am some kind of OCD cooling freak that drives CPUs to the lowest temperature as some insane science expirement, one of these would do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835124007

??

They seem easy enough to install, minus the whole making a hole in the chassis.

I guess my general question is, will the liquid cooling have a significant potential to increase speed, even with an already very fast computer like a Pentium 4 Quad core or something?

there are no quad core pentium 4's.

anyway, I would just recommend a descent watercooling kit for you. a kit won't be too hard to install, but still offer good cooling.

Apokalipse said:
there are no quad core pentium 4's.

anyway, I would just recommend a descent watercooling kit for you. a kit won't be too hard to install, but still offer good cooling.

yea, build a decent kit, dont buy some pre-made rubbish. I'd say look to spend a good $2-300 on it, or it won't be any better than air cooling.

your better off with a decent air cooler, to be honest, than the cheap watercooling kits.

joshd said:
your better off with a decent air cooler, to be honest, than the cheap watercooling kits.

I'll get a decent water cooling system, if you guys can recommend some.

It's not just the cooling that's important to me, but I rather like silence :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom