Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why you should wait for service packs. I am running XP without service packs, but I have the hotfixes installed, and everything is running fine.

I'm not switching to Vista because I don't need it yet, and I don't want to bother with drivers. That's the reason why many people wait.

As far as security is concerned, there's no need to wait for service packs either. Most vulnerabilities have not yet been discovered, and SP1 or SP2 barely prevent spyware/adware at all. I never have spyware or adware, or a virus, but other people who don't know how to use a computer have tons of them, even though they are running SP2 and anti-virus.

Just use a proper browser and you'll be fine. Also use AV.
I haven't used any firewall in almost 2 years and nothing happend (afaik, lol)

TheMajor said:
I don't see why you should wait for service packs. I am running XP without service packs, but I have the hotfixes installed, and everything is running fine.

I'm not switching to Vista because I don't need it yet, and I don't want to bother with drivers. That's the reason why many people wait.

As far as security is concerned, there's no need to wait for service packs either. Most vulnerabilities have not yet been discovered, and SP1 or SP2 barely prevent spyware/adware at all. I never have spyware or adware, or a virus, but other people who don't know how to use a computer have tons of them, even though they are running SP2 and anti-virus.

Just use a proper browser and you'll be fine. Also use AV.
I haven't used any firewall in almost 2 years and nothing happend (afaik, lol)

actually XP without service packs has a 137gig hard drive limit. SP2 fixes that, so in a way you are crippled if you have a big hard drive. when i made my latest rig i had to use partition magic to find the rest fo the drive and format and then merge ,not fun.

zmatt said:
actually XP without service packs has a 137gig hard drive limit. SP2 fixes that, so in a way you are crippled if you have a big hard drive. when i made my latest rig i had to use partition magic to find the rest fo the drive and format and then merge ,not fun.

A simple registry modification fixes that. You can do that with X-Setup or manually. No need for service packs.

naamlooszr2.jpg

EDIT: ****. Just noticed I didn't format my old Vista partition on disk 3, lol. I could use the space :p

TheMajor said:
A simple registry modification fixes that. You can do that with X-Setup or manually. No need for service packs.

naamlooszr2.jpg

EDIT: ****. Just noticed I didn't format my old Vista partition on disk 3, lol. I could use the space :p

the major is the master of figuring out stuff like that. he taught me a lot of the stuff that I know now

TheMajor said:

Thank god for Partition Magic.

I'll need to use it when I pick up my 320GB Hard drive tomorrow, would like to partition it for different things like videos, music, etc.

To give everyone with asus mobo a heads-up

when you run vista update, dont install one of the asus utility updates, it creates a flickering blue screen of death preventing you to go into your OS. if it happens, do a system restore when in safe mode(vista should've created a restore point while updating). and dont touch the asus update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom