$3500 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFgamer

Beta member
I'm about ready to come home from a deployment and have a lil bit of extra cash to play with. I plan on building my own computer and this is the first time I am attempting to do so. I plan on doing heavy gaming, some overclocking, research for some of my classes, etc. and dont want to spend over $3500 for it

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS Case
EVGA nForce 680i Motherboard
Intel Conroe E6600 2.4Ghz, 4MB cashe CPU
1 EVGA 8800GTX KO w/ ACS3 cooling GPU
2Gb OCZ DDR2 PC8500 Ram
150Gb 10,000RPM Western Digital RaptorX HDD
PCpower&Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU
Plextor PX-755SA DVD/CD burner
Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Soundcard
Logitech G7 mouse and G15 Keyboard
Windows Vista Ultimate

Is what I have come up with after about 2 months of research and the price is about $3200 right now. Just wanted to see if there was something I was missing, something that has lots of known problems with it, if something isn't compatable with something else, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice you can spare.

well the raptor is a waste of money you can get nearly the same performance with a Seagate barracuda and tons more gb but your money. the 680i is suppose to have some problems with bugs and incompatibility so i would recommend the Abit Aw9d-max instead. you wont need 1kw!!!!!! 600 watt should be fine or a 550 watt antec truepower trio. the best 2x1gb ram atm is suppose to be by g-skill so you might want to have a look. soundcard is really only for audiophiles but again your choice. get the 64 bit vista ultimate if you have to have vista bt vista is still very buggy i would wait for the first service pack or stick with xp. if you wait until april you can buy the e6420 which will be the best performance/price and a 8950gtx.

Matt

I don't like the 680i becuase of it's price and bugs. Look for a cheaper board honestly, or a 975 chipset as it's more stable. Also you do NOT need DDR2-1000 stock memory. Just get these as they will be PLENTY fast enough for your E6600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231084
I own that exact same ram and it can max out my E6300 overclock if I used it.

If you want to go with better ram though becuase of your budget. This is all you will ever need trust me...the HZ's are awesome.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

thats a sweet system, that psu is a bit overkill, and i think u can get a quad-core system instead (680i SLI stinks, too pricey and too many bugs) raptor X = too expensive, u get same performance by raid 0ing a hard drive for the same price and tons more storage

everyone else s repeating me lol erm i wouldnt do quad core games and your needs dont utilise it and quad cores atm are bought for bragging rights rather then actual purpose unless your planning on running 12+ applications at the same time i wouldnt bother.

Matt

I like my 680i, Haven't had one problem with it. I guess I'm a lucky one. Not to many people have had problem's with them on the eVGA forum either. If you having a problem, I'd just RMA! An try your luck again.

The Raptor's are nice. But don't go with the **** windowed. Mine get pretty loud at time's. But they do look neat. :p

A 1000 watt psu is alittle much. LOL 850 I'd say is max to go with a psu if you want alot of power.

As for quad core, I'm shure they are nice. I paid 512 for my E6700, An in April I would have been able to get the quad core for 530$, Just make's me sick. :(

an 850 watt psu is a huge overkill
get a good 550watt psu like an antec true power trio for around 100 bucks

raptors are a waste of space, for the price get 2 250gb seagates and raid them, and you will see a better performance

for a processor get an e6600 for around 320, the price vs performance is the only high end core 2 that is justified

Yep either the E4300, 6300, or the 6600 I always say. I would never buy a quad core, extreme or an E6700. Also I would rather have that 40 bucks in ym wallet from the E6400.

Very nice setup.

I would choose XP though because it is still compatible with everything. You can buy Vista later when it's stable(r)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom