Doesn't Feel Fast for a Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipersrt_10

Solid State Member
Hey all,
Straight to the point.
Is this a good gaming pc? If so (or not) then why does it feel slow with certain games?

CPU: AMD FX-57 2.8ghz (OC 2.94ghz)
MB : ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe
RAM: 2GB Corsair (Not sure about DDR type or Mhz speed)
HD : WD 80gb 8mb SATA
PSU: 650watt SilverStone
SC : SB Audigy 2 ZS
GFX: ASUS Nvidia EN8800GTX
OS : Either Win XP Pro 32bit; Win Vista Ultimate 32bit; Win Vista Ultimate 64bit. Running Vista 32bit ATM.

The HD I use to have was a WD Raptor 74gb (was thinking about getting a 150gb Raptor)

Certain games like Oblivion (runs really well but some areas drops to around 14fps @ 1280x1024 res MAX GFX) and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic seems to not like running with High Texture Res? Keeps Crashing and seems quite jerky.

Other Games like DOD:Source Seem to run at 25fps to 110fps. Other then that most others that Ive tried so far seem to run great :)

Also with the ASUS Nvidia EN8800GTX Card, is there a way to disable the feature "splendid" ? messes with my games as distant Characters and objects appear with a grey-ish texture.

What would I need to change to improve gaming performance?

go duel core cpu get a faster hd when u have a gfx card that fast alot of textures are getting loaded of ur hdd so when u have a slow hd like urs the hd actually botle necks the gfx card and the cpu will help with the veiw distances

Amd gt player said:
go duel core cpu get a faster hd when u have a gfx card that fast alot of textures are getting loaded of ur hdd so when u have a slow hd like urs the hd actually botle necks the gfx card and the cpu will help with the veiw distances

I honestly have never had a problem with graphics due to a slower hard drive. 7200 RPM is fine.

Are your drivers up to date?

But thats the thing, when I had the Nvidia 6800GT the view distance was fine, the graphics card has this feature called "splendid" which brightens dark areas and its getting affected with the games distant fog (which is grey) and by making the objects and characters brighter then adding the fog effect, they then appear grey. if i can disable or turn off this feature then this would solve this problem but I wouldnt know where to start :(

Are your drivers up to date?QUOTE]

I have the latest Motherboard driver and GFX driver. Its a fresh install of windows so I needed some drivers. and a Vista beta driver for my sound card

Vista might be the problem. although there wasnt much difference in performce when I switched from XP Pro. It was the reason I did switch. Suggestion would be to try XP Pro Again? get the latest drivers etc or just stick with it for now?

Ok, I know this may sound stupid but he wants to know why his computer is slow during games. Well, your cpu is not be full power. You need to get winxp 64bit. Your games should run fine after that i hope. Also get all the new drivers for your pc. That always seems to help.

In winxp 64bit, doesnt the games have to be run in a 32bit emulator? (well it does in vist 64bit) wouldnt that slow it down as it will have to run another process?

Games like Oblivion show up to a 30% increase in performance with a dual core CPU. While your CPU may be fast it's still only a single core, this could be the problem on high power games that take advantage of dual core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom