Geforce 6800 GT upgrade.. too what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you list your computer now? But honestly, I really don't think getting a high end AGP card is really that great of an idea. But if it's your only option, the x1950pro is a good choice.

But then again, I'm not entirely sure how much 150 pounds is.

Rican, the only things you're switching out are the video card and the motherboard. If you get a mobo with a newer socket-type, then you'll also be switching out the processor, but other than that...

Yeah, what deathawk said. I mean the listing the computer part. The AGP part to a lesser degree, of course.

EDIT: Clicky!

Okay, it's horrible. I thought I'd list it here anyways, just incase it fits your needs. Note the PCI slots (only 3!), the RAM type (DDR2), and the lack of processor. If that is actually all you need, and you have a compatible processor (Core 2 Duo/Pentium D/Pentium 4/Celeron D), then by all means, get it. You'll probably want to upgrade in a CPU>>Motherboard>>Graphics card fashion at some point, though.

I would go with most of these guys here and just save up your money until you can get a PCI-Ex based system... The card you have now is still pretty solid and should be able to run almost any game out there today. I dont think the performance gain is worth it enough, but that's me :D

Either way, good luck with what you choose

Depending on the card you buy, you might actually save $$ by getting a basic PCI-E motherboard and a PCI-E video card, instead of getting an AGP card (think about it; a 7600GT is considered high end to AGP, but is low-medium end to PCI-E.)

Plus you can always sell your AGP card and motherboard to get back some of the money you spent.

Okay, if you've read my other two posts in this topic, you'll know that I'm hellbent on converting you to PCI-E-ism.
I'm assuming you still have 150 British Pounds, correct? According to XE.com, that's $295, so those're the bounds I'll use.

Vid. Card ($120 after rebate)
Motherboard ($105)
Processor ($54)
Total -- $299 - $20(rebate) = $279 = ~143 Pounds.

Okay, So I got you a nice video card, a good motherboard, and an okay processor. The motherboard should do you good for a while, so you won't be upgrading that.

The Processor is okay, but I'd upgrade that to a Core 2 Duo first chance you get.

The Video card I'd upgrade after the processor, it should play any game at medium to high settings with okay fps, according to the fine people here at Tech-Forums.net

i hear that these x1950 pros are power hungry? will a Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU be ok?

i see someone saying that upgrading from a 256mb Geforce GT to a 512mb X1950pro will not make a noticable difference?

and another thing, if i change the mobo then that means i have format my HD and loose everything... doesn't it?

its prob worth waiting for direct x 10 to become mainstream and then upgrade your whole system.

however, the only real difference between AGP and PCI-E is the bandwidth - yes the PCI-E slot has more bandwidth and is the future, (PCI-E v2 coming out soon as well) but not all graphics cards are going to use all the bandwidth of an AGP 8x port:

if you want a quick upgrade then
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=403 (x1950pro) is the way to go, but personally i would wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom