Help me with Intel CPU Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Steel

Baseband Member
Hello All. I've searched through the posts, and not seen anything that seems to address my issue.

Are there REALLY such big differences in performance between:

Intel Pentium 4
Intel Pentium D
Intel Core Duo

If I told you I often burn CD/DVD's while downloading music, would I really get a much better kick from one or the other? I don't do gaming much any more, so productivity is more what I'm looking for.

Would a faster Pentium D (Say a 915@2.8Ghz) be better for me than a C2D (4300!1.8Ghz)?

Or Would you just OC a P4 3Ghz and laugh?

What would YOU do if you really needed to save money?

Well, thing is. The Pentium 4 processors are not Dual Core. Core 2 Duo processors run more efficiently than any of the past Intel CPu's, and they easily beat AMD's AM2 processors.

I'd get the Core 2 Duo for future upgrading / proficiency. They just run better AND save more energy.

forget ghz they dont mean anything any more with intel a core 2 duo is current best price/performance for any system atm but if you are not going to have moderate-to high usage of the comp then a cheap one will do fine AMD single cores are faster then intel and Intel core 2 duo are faster then Amd x2 this is only in desktops laptops is a different matter

Matt

Yes there is a huge difference in these processors. Currently the Intel Core 2 Duo processors are the best on the market at the moment, personally i'd wait a few months depending on what rig your running now of course as AMD are going to announce their new line and i'm pretty sure it won't disappoint.

saltynay said:
forget ghz they dont mean anything any more with intel a core 2 duo is current best price/performance for any system atm but if you are not going to have moderate-to high usage of the comp then a cheap one will do fine AMD single cores are faster then intel and Intel core 2 duo are faster then Amd x2 this is only in desktops laptops is a different matter

Matt

I attest to this--plenty of articles out there to back this up.

If I were you, I would go with a c2d, the overclockability is amazing.

get a AMD over a P4
I would get the c2d
But i would wait until mid april when they interduce the new like the e6420 will be the same as the e6400 ( even price wise) but it will have 2 more mb of cache

avinnik said:
Well, that's pretty much what i summed up.

Also might I add it saves energy.

It saves a TON of energy! I read an article (my apologies, don't remember the source but do remember it is respectable) that to run a C2D E6600 with 2 sata HDD's, 2 opticals and a 8800 gtx it only takes like 380 watts and a 400W high efficient PSU could run a system of those specs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom