Dell Inspiron 1100 Car Charger Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajdeathgiver

Baseband Member
Hey all my step dad has an inspiron 1100

he bought a dc-dc converter so that he could use it in his van as he travels a great deal

however it wont work when you plug the converter in to the cigarette lighter the light on it comes on and appears to work however when you plug the converter in to the laptop it wont work and i cant figure out how to make it work

it does however, when you boot the laptop with the converter pluged in say a 90w power supply has been detected and is stoping the laptop from operating at optimal efficiency press f1 to continue or f2 to run setup i cant find anything in the extremely limited dell bios that has anything to do with it outher than an option to disable or enable the powersupply warning wich ive just described

ive tried flashing the bios to the latest version to see if that might help however it dident

the details of the converter are as follows

Model number DC 090-006
DC input 12v from vehicle

fuse 13a 250v
DC OUTPUT 18v~20v 90w(max)

Could it be the converter that is the problem or the laptop
the laptop is in perfect working order it used to have an overheating problem however after finding out the laptop had a manufactureing fault of extremely shite thermal compount i cleaned the processor and heatsink (properly according to dells specifications) and replaced the thermal compound with some arctic cooling compound really good stuff anyway it worked fine after that

im an engineer in training but im not dell certified and im hopeing there is an extremely simple solution to stop him grumbling about it
but after hours of google trawling i cant find one

any input would be extremely helpfull

Regards Aj

I would guess the converter doesn't put out enough juice to run the laptop. I got a cheap onw at Wal-Mart did the same thing. I had to spring for a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom