Case Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
My budget is around 3000. That only includes the tower. I want to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc, but that isn't included in the budget. I want this comp to be able to last a long time and be upgradable. Sorry for the long response, didn't check this forum until I got up this morning.

Would an intel system be better than the amd system for gaming currently?

crusher said:
My budget is around 3000. That only includes the tower. I want to buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc, but that isn't included in the budget. I want this comp to be able to last a long time and be upgradable. Sorry for the long response, didn't check this forum until I got up this morning.

Would an intel system be better than the amd system for gaming currently?
Yes it would Be.
You probably won't spend all 3K on the Tower. But we Can Try.

X6800 (With Tuniq tower or scythe ninja or XP-90/120+ Artic Silver 5 and 120 MM Fan)
ASUS Striker
Corsair Dominator 2 GB DDR2 1142
eVGA 8800GTX 768MB
Corsair CMPSU-620HX
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi
Plextor 18X DVD Burner
WD 74 GB Raptor (For OS)
Seagate 320 GB SATA ( Two in RAID 1 or 0)
Case: Whatever you decide.

Also remember that even if you go water cooling you will still need fans for case air flow.

I didn't add that up, but I doubt it came to 3 grand, Maybe 2900 tops.

As for Moniter if you need one, Some widescreen, Samsung, Hanns G, Sceptre or Viewsonic.

If it turns out you want to make some changes maybe add another HD or two, another plextor or optorite Burner, you can take the CPU down to a E6600 and with the money saved you can spend it else where. If you wanted to save more money you could knock the RAM Down to some DDR2 800 Corsair or G Skill.

E6600(For money in other spots) --314.00
Asus Striker--400.00
Ram--440.00
BFG GTX Water Cooled Edition--800.00
BFG 1000w p/s--290.00
I'll be happy w/ on board sound for now.
Raptor 150g 10k hd--230.00
Plexor cd burner-100.00
Case: Deciding
Water System: 300ish.

Total--2604. Still need to add in case and if I want another cd drive and possibly a floppy drive, and need to add case fans.

How is this build??

Unless mentioned, all parts are from ste's post.

This is my first build, but I'm confident I can figure it all out. Also, I'm sure this system can be overclocked but I am not real experienced in that area so I will have to take it slow.

You won't need that big of a power supply. The Corsair 620 Watt I suggested is one of the best power supplies out there and it is more than enough power.

Its rest is fine. Just remember to get one of the heatsinks I reccomended.

Ste, what about possibly going to a evga or bfg 680i MB to save a little cash? Also, Will I still need a heatsink if I do a water cooling system for the cpu/video card?

Also instead you can get a regular 8800gtx and a DangerDen waterblock. It is just about the same thing, all tho you loose your warrenty.

Yeah I thought about that, but I don't want to void the warranty. Especially (because accidents happen) I don't want to mess it up doing the switch myself.

I'm considering the thermaltake armor case. It already has all the fans I would need and room to do a water cooling system it seems. Has anyone been able to hold dual 8800's in them though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom